Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need suggestions for buying a calculator with HUGE memory

Tags:
  1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    So my numerical analysis class requires me perform iterations involving huge expressions into my strictly NON-graphical scientific calculator. It often happens so that my current calculator (CASIO fx-911ES PLUS) does not allow me to feed in it a expression which goes beyond its input memory.

Therefore, I am looking for a NON-GRAPHICAL calculator with a substantial amount of input memory so as to allow me to feed huge hairy cumbersome expressions in it.

I need some suggestions or help as to which calculators to look forward to fulfill my need.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest posting in the computer forum.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know that there is such an animal.

If you don't have some basic graphical display, how would you 'feed' in huge hairy cumbersome expressions? How would you check your input? How would you get your output?

It's not clear what you class requires. Are you allowed to use only a calculator? Could you perhaps use a table with a symbolic algebra package installed? A laptop?

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What SteamKing said. In "real life" science and engineering, calculators are not very useful beyond the basics of arithmetic, elementary functions (log, trig, etc) and a few memory locations. I think the main market for fancy calculators with graphics, symbolic algebra, etc is to students hoping to avoid learning how to do algebra and calculus with paper and pencil.

If you want a "calculator with lots of memory", it's called "a computer with a symbolic algebra program." You don't get fined or sent to jail if you ignore the graphics options in the software!

6. May 23, 2014 #5
    T89-Titanium-RUBBISH

I would think twice about buying a T89-Titanium.I spent a fortune on
    one in Australia about two years ago for AU$380.00 & have had nothing but & trouble with it..Alot of the time it just didn't turn on, then suddenly it works,then when you need it the most...it ceases up on you. I have replaced the back-up battery, replaced the four AAAA batteries twice over, changed the contrast & done covered just about any other sugestion offered. Now it has frozen on the "OFF" seemingly for good & there seems to be nothing that will fix it.I have never dropped it or been clumsy handed with it.The only thing i can think of is to send it back to Texas Instruments for repair & undoubtably pay a huge repair bill as the warranty would be voided by now & then there's the wait. IsIt rearly worth all the trouble though, as i can find many far cheaper calculators that would do what i require in my first year Stats course.However amazing "some" think this calculator to be i have heard of ten times that number find them nothing but a whole"BAG OF TROUBLE" Texas Instruments will have to do alot better than that if they want me to by another calculator from them.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. Feb 17, 2015 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you specifically rule out Graphing calculators, you are left with only two options for NEW calculators. The first is an Hp 35s. It has 32 K of ram and can operate in both RPN and algebraic (EOS) mode. It is crippled by design without I/O and naming limitations for variables. $50-60 retail.

Possibly a better calculator for your needs, might be an Hp 17Bii+ (or an older Hp 17Bii). The newer model has 32 K of RAM with long variable names (no real file structure, but you can insert equations where you want in a long list of equations as you create). Does NOT have trig or extensive functions, as it is a business/finance calculator. Older model only has 7 K RAM (still probably more than you would need) with a better solver. The solver is very versatile and could easily compensate for the lack of math functions. ie you create the functions you need. Also has selectable RPN/algebraic (chain logic) mode $80-90 retail. An older Hp 17Bii is about half the cost of new and is made of better quality.

You might find an older Casio 5000 or 6000 fx that might also meet your needs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook