Need the domain of integral values that satisfy

  • Thread starter Thread starter cscott
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Domain Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
cscott
Messages
778
Reaction score
1
I have this inequality:

[tex]4x^2 - 160x + 1500 \le 900[/tex]

I brought the 900 to the LHS and found the roots (35.81, 4.19). Now I just need the domain of integral values that satisfy. Can I say [tex]5 \le x \le 35[/tex]?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The range ([itex]5\le x\le 35[/itex]) you have is not correct. Thinking of like this might help get you a range: [itex](x-35.81)(x-4.91)\le 0[/itex]. From the solution you can see what range you should have.
 
assyrian_77 said:
The range ([itex]5\le x\le 35[/itex]) you have is not correct. Thinking of like this might help get you a range: [itex](x-35.81)(x-4.91)\le 0[/itex]. From the solution you can see what range you should have.

Sorry, I meant domain not range. Or is that what you meant too?
 
[itex](x-35.81)(x-4.91)\le 0[/itex] gives you two inequalities, right? What can you conclude from them?
 
[tex]x \le 35.81[/tex]
[tex]x \le 4.91[/tex]

The second one can't be right...
 
cscott said:
[tex]x \le 35.81[/tex]
[tex]x \le 4.91[/tex]

Correct?
Yep. And what can you say from this?
 
Well, the first would be redundant.

How can this be correct, because if I substitute x = 3 in my orginal inequality, I get [itex]1056 \le 900[/itex]
 
cscott said:
[tex]x \le 35.81[/tex]
[tex]x \le 4.91[/tex]

The second one can't be right...

No, that's not right. Think about the graph of a quadratic. If
[tex]y= 4x^2 - 160x + 1500[/tex] that's a parabola opening upward.
Where is
[tex]y= 4x^2 - 160x + 1500= 0[/tex]
y will be negative between them.
 
cscott said:
I have this inequality:

[tex]4x^2 - 160x + 1500 \le 900[/tex]

I brought the 900 to the LHS and found the roots (35.81, 4.19). Now I just need the domain of integral values that satisfy. I can say [tex]5 \le x \le 35[/tex], but this doesn't hold true for the inequality with 900 on the RHS because the values go below zero for a bit (which doesn't make sense in this problem). What am I missing here?
Hmm, okay, say you have the a quadratic function:
f(x) := ax2 + bx + c, which has 2 solutions:
x1, and x2. (And x1 < x2)
Then if x0 is in ]x1, x2[
Then af(x0) < 0, that means if a > 0, then f(x0) < 0, and vice versa, if a < 0, then f(x0) > 0.
If x0 is not in ]x1, x2[, then af(x0) > 0.
---------------
Example:
Solve:
x2 - 3x - 1 > -3
<=> x2 - 3x + 2 > 0
<=> (x - 2) (x - 1) > 0
<=> x < 1, or x > 2 (since a = 1 > 0, x1 = 1, and x2 = 2).
So can you apply it to your problem? :)
 
Last edited:
So if I'm interpreting you guys correctly, then the domain in my OP is correct? (5 <= x <= 35)
 
cscott said:
So if I'm interpreting you guys correctly, then the domain in my OP is correct? (5 <= x <= 35)
Yes, it's correct. :smile: