Need tips on how to teach myself mathematical physics aside from school

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying mathematical physics and the importance of having a strong foundation in calculus. The speaker suggests borrowing various math books and utilizing resources like MIT's Open Course Ware to improve one's understanding. They also mention the challenges of self-studying and the importance of practicing problem-solving.
Entropee
Gold Member
Yeah i want to learn some mathematical physics, since i can't just jump from my classes to that different section yet, but perhaps there are books or guides out there for beginners?
If anyone knows of anything please let me know, Hawking and Greene can only take me so far lol.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have access to a university library? The road to a self-taught knowledge of physics is paved with mathematics. At this early stage you will want to read all the math books you can get your hands on. If you have had two or fewer courses in differential and integral calculus, then my advice is to concentrate on those subjects for at least a year. Borrow books ranging from intro to calculus, multi-variable calculus, vector calculus, advanced (rigorous) calculus, the calculus of variations, and differential equations (which is really just calculus). Then you will be ready to learn classical physics, mechanics and electromagnetism. Then you go back to math to learn concrete linear algebra (matrices, vectors), and abstract linear algebra (linear transformations and vector spaces), then ideally some mathematical analysis, then you are ready to learn basic quantum mechanics.

MIT's Open Course Ware (OCW) is pretty cool.

As arehttp://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics/content/class-sessions" .

Though I think the professor goes a little crazy with the maths sometimes. Perhaps I need to heed Civilized's advice myself and get cracking on some more calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I need to ... get cracking on some more calculus.

No doubt about it, calculus is far and away the most important mathematical component of physics. Even at the highest levels of mathematical physics, you are still looking at derivatives, integrals, and the exponential function.

oh man yeah sounds like i need to learn calculus...
but i know what you listed for QM, i wonder if you should know calc for that too...
thanks though guys :P

One of the biggest problems with self-studying is the lack of mandatory HW and tests. Simply reading through a calculus book will not teach you calculus. That's only the first step. Using what you've read to solve different kinds of problems is at least as important.

1. How can I teach myself mathematical physics without attending a school or university?

There are several resources available for self-studying mathematical physics. These include online courses, textbooks, lecture notes, and practice problems. You can also join online forums or communities where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with other self-taught learners.

2. What topics should I focus on when teaching myself mathematical physics?

A good starting point for self-studying mathematical physics is to familiarize yourself with calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These are fundamental topics that are crucial for understanding more advanced concepts in mathematical physics.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying mathematical physics?

The amount of time you dedicate to self-studying mathematical physics will depend on your learning style and goals. It is recommended to set aside a few hours each day to study and practice problems. Consistency is key, so try to stick to a schedule that works for you.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me with self-studying mathematical physics?

Yes, there are numerous online resources such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare that offer free courses and lectures on mathematical physics. You can also find lecture notes and practice problems on various university websites.

5. How can I ensure that I am understanding the concepts correctly when teaching myself mathematical physics?

It is important to regularly check your understanding by practicing problems and seeking feedback from others. You can also use online resources such as video tutorials or interactive simulations to enhance your understanding of complex concepts. It is also helpful to join study groups or attend online lectures to discuss and clarify any doubts you may have.