Need to buy mathmatical background books for grad course

In summary, purchasing mathematical background books is essential for success in graduate level courses. These books provide a comprehensive overview of key concepts and principles, allowing students to build a strong foundation in mathematics. By investing in these resources, students can enhance their understanding and proficiency in the subject, ultimately leading to academic success in their graduate coursework.
oristo42
In the syllabus of the class, it recommended three mathematical background books:

Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken

Mathematical Methods in Chemistry and Physics by Starzak.

Mathematical Methods in the physical sciences by Boas

I don't know difference between these three. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
While its not on your list, the Schaums Outline: Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables is a definite keeper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071795375/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its cheap at $10-$20 and is very accessible and comprehensive for applied math and quite useful in a physics context. I would get the paper version too not an ebook version as I've heard that the equations don't render correctly and often get messed up or that its just hard to read the formulas on the screen.

One other is Prof Nearing's book (free but seems to be offline perhaps affected by Irma):

http://www.physics.miami.edu/nearing/mathmethods/mathematical_methods-three.pdf

There is also a DOVER publication of the book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/048648212X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And lastly, Prof Kip Thorne's book (just published $120):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0691159025/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and some more detail from Princeton Press:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10157.html

Of the books you mentioned, I like Arfken's book but I don't use it on a day to day basis and I did find a couple of typos in it that never seem to get fixed like every book seems to have. I've heard that Boaz's book is more approachable for undergrads but I felt the Arfken book laid out things structurally a little better.

For Thorne's book, I've seen preprints that were available online. He said in the preface that he was aiming for a more geometric view of the subject which might make it more accessible than either Arfken or Boaz. Also it will have a more physics based scope.

Are these available in your library? Your prof may have even placed them on reserve. If at all possible, look at the books before buying. You might not need/want any of them. If you do decide to buy without reading, i recommend you get cheap used copies of old editions.

Jason

Likes CalcNerd

What are the best mathmatical background books to buy for a grad course?

The best mathmatical background books to buy for a grad course will depend on the specific course and your individual learning style. It's important to do research and read reviews to find books that are well-respected and cover the material in a way that makes sense to you.

Do I need to buy all the suggested mathmatical background books for my grad course?

It's not necessary to buy all the suggested mathmatical background books for your grad course. It's important to have a good understanding of the material, but you can also supplement your learning with online resources or borrowing books from the library.

Can I use older editions of mathmatical background books instead of buying the latest edition?

In some cases, using an older edition of a mathmatical background book may be acceptable. However, it's important to check with your instructor to make sure the content is still relevant and that you won't be missing out on important updates or information.

Are there any online resources that can replace buying mathmatical background books?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can supplement or even replace buying mathmatical background books. These include free online textbooks, video lectures, and practice problems. However, it's important to balance online resources with traditional textbooks to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the material.

Can I get by without buying any mathmatical background books for my grad course?

It's not recommended to try and get by without buying any mathmatical background books for your grad course. These books are designed to provide a thorough understanding of the material and may be necessary for completing assignments and studying for exams. It's best to invest in at least a few key textbooks for your course.