Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need to check the answer of some simple PDE

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    I don't have the answer of these question. Can someone take a look at a) and tell me am I correct? I don't even know how to solve b)

a)1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Show [tex]u(x,t)=F(x+ct) + G(x-ct)[/tex] is solution of [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}= c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

let [tex]\alpha = x+ct,\beta = x-ct \Rightarrow \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}= 1, \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial t}= c,[/tex] and also [tex] \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}= 1, \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial t}= -c[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha} \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta}\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac {\partial (\frac{\partial F(\alpha)} {\partial \alpha}) }{\partial \alpha} \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} +

\frac {\partial (\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta })} {\partial \beta} \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}

= \frac{\partial^2 F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha^2} + \frac{\partial^2 G(\beta)}{\partial \beta^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha}\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta}\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial t} = c[\frac{\partial F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha} - \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta}][/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} = c\frac {\partial (\frac{\partial F(\alpha)} {\partial \alpha}) }{\partial \alpha} \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial t} -

c\frac {\partial (\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \beta })} {\partial \beta} \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial t}

= c^2[\frac{\partial^2 F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha^2} + \frac{\partial^2 G(\beta)}{\partial \beta^2}][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}= c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Therefore:
    [tex]u(x,t)=F(x+ct) + G(x-ct)[/tex] is solution of [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}= c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

b) Transform [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}= c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex] in to [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}=0[/tex]

where [tex]u(x,t)=F(x+ct) + G(x-ct)[/tex]

and [tex]\alpha = x+ct,\beta = x-ct[/tex]

Can someone give me a hint how to go by this?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your solution to (a) is fine.

For part (b), try start by solving for x and t in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    Thanks for checking on a).

[tex]\alpha = x+ct,\beta = x-ct \\Rightarrow x=\frac{\alpha + \beta}{2}, t=\frac{\alpha - \beta}{2c}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha}=\frac{\partial F(\alpha}{\partial \alpha}+ \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \beta}[/tex]

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks for checking on a).

[tex]\alpha = x+ct,\beta = x-ct \Rightarrow x=\frac{\alpha + \beta}{2}, t=\frac{\alpha - \beta}{2c}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \frac{\partial t}{\partial \alpha} = \frac{\partial F(\alpha)}{\partial \alpha}+ \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \beta} + \frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial \beta}[/tex]

But how do I find [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha},\frac{\partial x}{\partial \beta}?[/tex]

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

[tex]x=\frac{\alpha+\beta}{2} \Rightarrow \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

and so on. You do pretty much the same thing you did in part (a) just with different variables.

7. Feb 6, 2010 #6
    I try this part and I got a different answer:

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} = \frac{\partial (\alpha + \beta)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} [\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha}] = \frac{1}{2}[ 1 + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha}][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} = 1 [/tex]

Which is the same as [tex]\frac {1}{(\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x})} = 1[/tex]

What did I do wrong?

8. Feb 6, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

[itex]x=x(\alpha,\beta)[/itex] is a function of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]. When you take the partial derivative wrt [itex]\alpha[/itex], you hold [itex]\beta[/itex] constant.

9. Feb 6, 2010 #8
    The thing that confuse me is both [tex] \alpha, \beta[/tex] have x and t. [tex] \alpha, \beta[/tex] are not independent variables like x and y in the normal case. [tex] \alpha = 2x-\beta[/tex].

That is the thing that really throw me off all this time. That is the reason I did it in post #6. Why it is wrong in post #6.

10. Feb 6, 2010 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can say the same thing about x and t. They both depend on [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]. It's like a change of basis from x and t to [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

11. Feb 6, 2010 #10
    I still don't get it. Let say x is position, t is time. We equate [tex]\alpha = x+ct, \beta=x-ct[/tex]. This imply only [tex]\alpha, \beta[/tex] is depending on both position and time. That cannot reverse to imply x and t have a relation. x and t are completely indenpend variable. I just cannot turn this around in my mind.

Also in post #6, I don't assume anything there, I just step by step derive the formula. I look at it again and again, I just don't see what I did wrong. Can you comment about post #6 where exactly I did wrong that it won't work even if [tex]\alpha, \beta[/tex] are being treated as independent variables.

Thanks for your patient. I feel I am stuck in a spot.

12. Feb 6, 2010 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just as x and t are independent when you write [itex]\alpha=\alpha(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\beta=\beta(x,t)[/itex], you consider [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] to be independent when you write [itex]x=x(\alpha,\beta)[/itex] and [itex]y=y(\alpha,\beta)[/itex].

In #6, you're taking the partial derivative with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex]. That means [itex]\beta[/itex] is held constant so any derivative of [itex]\beta[/itex] will equal 0.

13. Feb 6, 2010 #12
    Please bear with me, I am still stuck!!! What is wrong with this:

[tex]\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial \alpha} = \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} = \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

14. Feb 6, 2010 #13
    Think about it in terms of linear algebra: (1,0) and (0,1) are two independent vectors that span R^2. Spanning R^2 means that given any point p in R^2, you can find coordinates x and y such that p = x (1,0) + y (0,1). (1,0) and (1,1) are also independent and form a basis for R^2, but they are not orthogonal.

The same is true for alpha and beta. They are two independent coordinates (in the linear algebra sense) and form a basis for R^2, but they are not orthogonal.

15. Feb 6, 2010 #14
    Consider another example: take standard x-y coordinates and define a function t(x,y) = x+y. By the same argument,

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} = 1 \cdot 1 = 1[/tex]

Do you see what happened?

16. Feb 7, 2010 #15
    I got out the multi variable book and read up on the chain rule, I am still reading and thinking about it. I thing I see wrong with my assumption is [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial \alpha} [/tex]is not legal in the chain rule because it is travelling "up" the diagram.

I can see

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} = 1 \cdot 1 = 1[/tex]

Is wrong because t is function of y, y is not a function of t.

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex] is not allowed.

Am I correct?

Also is [tex] \alpha,\beta[/tex] independent variable that [tex]\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial \beta}=0[/tex]?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. Feb 7, 2010 #16
    The diagrams are a good way to take partial derivatives. When you try to differentiate alpha with respect to beta, you are either moving up in the diagram or you need to build a circular diagram (beta is a function of x and t, x is a function of alpha and beta, etc).

Have you tried drawing a picture of what the alpha and beta coordinate curves look like? Once you draw a picture, you can see that you can freely vary alpha without affecting beta. You can also do this algebraically: Suppose beta = x-ct = const or t = (x - const)/c. If you move along the line t = (x - const)/c, you will vary alpha while keeping beta fixed.

It's the analog of moving parallel to the x axis (keeping the y coordinate fixed) in the x-y world. Alpha and beta are two independent coordinates, and the equations alpha = x + ct, beta = x - ct tell you how to convert between alpha/beta and x/y coordinates.

18. Feb 8, 2010 #17
    Can anyone show me how to prove this part?

Transform [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}= c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex] in to [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}=0[/tex]

where [tex]u(x,t)=F(x+ct) + G(x-ct)[/tex]

and [tex]\alpha = x+ct,\beta = x-ct[/tex]

This is not a school work and I am still struggling on the Chain rule. I am hopping if I get the steps to solve this problem, I can reverse it and try to understand this. I think I spent enough time on this already.

Thanks

19. Feb 8, 2010 #18
    I think you and vela have established that

du/d(alpha) = du/dx dx/d(alpha) + du/dt dt/d(alpha) = 1/2 du/dx + 1/2 du/dt
    du/d(beta) = du/dx dx/d(beta) + du/dt dt/d(beta) = 1/(2c) du/dx - 1/(2c) du/dt

Can you say anything about the second partial derivatives of u with respect to alpha and beta?

20. Feb 8, 2010 #19
    Or if you already know this part:
    [tex]
    u(x,t)=F(x+ct) + G(x-ct) = F(\alpha) + G(\beta)
    [/tex]
    it's even easier:

The derivative of F(alpha) with respect to beta is zero. Differentiating G'(beta) with respect to alpha makes that zero. QED. Alpha and beta are independent variables!

21. Feb 8, 2010 #20
    I gave this a lot of thoughts. I still cannot accept [tex]\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \alpha}=0 [/tex]

Please bear with me. Let's take a look at this example:

Let [tex]G(\beta)=-\beta = \beta - 2\beta = x-ct-2x+2ct=(x+ct)-2x=\alpha -2x[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \alpha}= \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial 2x}{\partial \alpha}= 1+0=1 [/tex]

Yes I know I am playing around and the argument is very thin, but never the less, it is valid. My whole point is just because [tex] \alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are independent variable, [tex]\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \alpha}[/tex] not necessary equal 0.

[tex]\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial \alpha}=0 [/tex] do not imply at all [tex]\frac{\partial G(\beta)}{\partial \alpha}=0 [/tex]

I don't think the question is good to say [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}}=0[/tex] I have been struggling on this very point for two days!!!!

Please tell me if I am correct.

Thanks a million.

Alan

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook