1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to clarify Extreme value theorem

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    From what i know if a graph has say one turning point, the relative global max(/min) is that point depending on the concavity correct? However as i was going through some notes, i notice that according to the mean value theorem that in a closed and bounded interval there exist a relative global max/min. Does that mean so long the interval is close and bounded, there will be a global max/min and it does not need to be the highest/lowest point in the graph? Lets say for a simple graph 1/x the global min will be x=0 and no global max? So if the interval is [2,5] is the global max and global min at x=5 and x=2 respectively? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, a "global max" is, by definition, the highest point on a graph and the "global min" is, by definition, the lowest point on a graph. Any continuous function has a global max and min on a closed and bounded interval. The function 1/x, for all x, does not have either max or min. 0 is not the min because 1/x is never equal to 0. In fact, 1/x does not have a global max or min on any closed and bounded interval that contains 0. The global max of 1/x on the interval [2, 5] occurs at x= 2 and is 1/2. The global min occurs at x= 5 and is 1/5.

But stricly speaking the answer to your question "So if the interval is [2,5] is the global max and global min at x=5 and x=2 respectively?" is "No" because the order inwhich they are given implies that you are asking if the global max is at 5 and the global min is at 2. That's not true, they are reversed.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Sorry my bad i wanted to say 1/x^2. I see now so basically if a close and bounded interval is given there will be a global max/min but if the interval is not given then we have to look at the graph to decide? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook