Need to demonstrate 44 Newtons of force

• Thread starter stephejo
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I hope someone can help me.

I am a medical doctor and need to have a standardized way to demonstrate the force needed to press on the front of the cricoid ring of the larynx (neck) in order to occlude the esophagus (Sellick's maneuver) with the patient lying supine... so the thumb and forefinger press on the front of the neck with 44N.

The studies specify 44 Newtons. How much is that. Looks to me like 10lbs or 4.5kg on earth.

Is there an easy model that I can make and pass around the lecture room to show what about 44N "feels like"??

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Why not just get a 10 lb dumbbell? Or a 10 lb plate for a barbell set?

If you want to have fun, make a lever that requires 10 lbs of force to depress--then students can see just how hard they must push with thumb and forefinger.

It's been a long time since college physics... is a simple pulley the same as a lever? If I make a pulley with 10lb and pushing down the end of the pulley the same thing?

Thanks!

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My first thought was to use some sort of top loading scale. Maybe like this.
4724_100X100.jpg

Doc Al
Mentor
It's been a long time since college physics... is a simple pulley the same as a lever? If I make a pulley with 10lb and pushing down the end of the pulley the same thing?
Sure, that would work. (There are a zillion ways to go.)

Perfect idea.

Thanks!!!

K^2
Science Advisor

Thanks!
Fixed pulley, yes. Fixed pulley does not change the force magnitude. Only direction.