1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a demonstration of interference in Waves

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I am having a project in Physics, and the project is about interference in Waves. We got a task, and I need to demonstrate how waves interfere with eachother.

I got a demonstration with Lasers, how they split up, but I also need a much more simple demonstration. Something like when two water waves hit eachother. I have been thinking of having a bowl of water, and then makes wave in it, but you can barely see the waves.

So, do anyone know how to make a good homemade demonstration of waves? Must be something as thick that you can see it easily, as water is to thin. I have basic school lab equipment available, as well as householding equipement.

Thx in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It shows up well in ripple tanks. That's a shallow tank on legs with a bright light above, projecting the waves (which focus the light) on the table under the tank. Every high school lab has at least one. The tank is usually about half a meter square. You might manage with a smaller plastic storage container from your local bargain store.

I have seen some fabulous examples in nature, usually where a stream flows into a shallow lake. A natural ripple tank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook