Need to find a constant in an x-axis equation

• Thread starter mcdowellmg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: I don't know where you got 25.58200. 2c- 11.6(3)= 2c- 34.8 does not give c= 25.58200. Either you did the math wrong or you had the wrong formula.)Because the position has a t^3 term, the force must be time dependent. The t^2 term must arise from the constant part of the force, but you must use the t^3 term to isolate that part. The best way to do this is to derive this position function from Newton's law using a time-dependent force.In summary
mcdowellmg

Homework Statement

A 2.2 kg particle moves along an x axis, being propelled by a variable force directed along that axis. Its position is given by x = 3.0 m + (4.0 m/s)t + ct2 - (2.6 m/s3)t3, with x in meters and t in seconds. The factor c is a constant. At t = 3.0 s, the force on the particle has a magnitude of 36 N and is in the negative direction of the axis. What is c?

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the hint: Acceleration is the second time derivative of the position function. The net force is related to the acceleration via Newton's second law.

I tried to take the 2nd derivative of the x equation, but I am not sure if I am doing it right because of all of the m's and m/s's, etc. along with the c and the t's.
I ended up getting 4+c*2t+t^2-7.8t^2 and then 2c-11.6t as my second derivative. (I had 2c-15.6t at first, but I think I had the product rule wrong in the first derivative then...)
I then solved a = 2c - 11.6(3) as 16.364 = 2c - 34.8, because 16.364 is the acceleration I found by dividing 36/2.2 (F/m). That solves for c as 25.58200. Apparently that is wrong, and I don't know why!

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the position has a [tex]t^3[/tex] term, the force must be time dependent. The [tex]t^2[/tex] term must arise from the constant part of the force, but you must use the [tex]t^3[/tex] term to isolate that part. The best way to do this is to derive this position function from Newton's law using a time-dependent force.

I think that I may have forgotten that the 36 N is negative...which would be -36/2.2...so -16.364 = 2c - 34.8 would give me a different c, which I believe may be correct.

mcdowellmg said:

Homework Statement

A 2.2 kg particle moves along an x axis, being propelled by a variable force directed along that axis. Its position is given by x = 3.0 m + (4.0 m/s)t + ct2 - (2.6 m/s3)t3, with x in meters and t in seconds. The factor c is a constant. At t = 3.0 s, the force on the particle has a magnitude of 36 N and is in the negative direction of the axis. What is c?

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the hint: Acceleration is the second time derivative of the position function. The net force is related to the acceleration via Newton's second law.

I tried to take the 2nd derivative of the x equation, but I am not sure if I am doing it right because of all of the m's and m/s's, etc. along with the c and the t's.
I ended up getting 4+c*2t+t^2-7.8t^2
I presume you mean you got this as the first derivative- the velocity. Is that "t^2" a typo? It shouldn't be there and its derivartive, 2t, does not appear in your second derivative.

and then 2c-11.6t as my second derivative. (I had 2c-15.6t at first, but I think I had the product rule wrong in the first derivative then...)
No, the derivative of x= 3.0 m + (4.0)t + ct^2 - (2.6)t^3 is dx/dt= 4+ 2ct- 7.8t^2 and the second derivative is d^2x/dt^2= 2\c- 15.6t. 2(7.8)= 15.8. Even if that "t^2" in the first derivative was intended and you included it with "-7.8t^2" to get "-6.8t^2" the dervative would be "-13.6t", not "-11.6t".

I then solved a = 2c - 11.6(3) as 16.364 = 2c - 34.8, because 16.364 is the acceleration I found by dividing 36/2.2 (F/m). That solves for c as 25.58200. Apparently that is wrong, and I don't know why!
You should have 2c- 15.6(3)= 2c- 46.8= (-36/2.2)= -16.36 to two decimal places.

1. What is a constant in an x-axis equation?

A constant in an x-axis equation is a number that remains the same throughout the equation. It does not change with the x-values and is usually represented by the letter "c".

2. How do you find the constant in an x-axis equation?

To find the constant in an x-axis equation, you can use the given equation and substitute different x-values to solve for the corresponding y-values. The constant can be identified as the y-value that remains the same for all x-values.

3. Can the constant in an x-axis equation be negative?

Yes, the constant in an x-axis equation can be negative. This means that the equation will have a downward shift or translation on the y-axis.

4. Why is it important to find the constant in an x-axis equation?

The constant in an x-axis equation helps determine the y-intercept, which is the point where the graph intersects with the y-axis. This point is important as it provides valuable information about the equation, such as the initial value or starting point.

5. Is the constant the same as the slope in an x-axis equation?

No, the constant and slope are two different components in an x-axis equation. The slope is the rate of change between x and y values, while the constant remains the same and does not change with the x-values.