Can anyone explain this integration for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function of time that has been differentiated twice. The function is equal to F_o/m, where F_o is a constant force and m is assumed to be mass. By integrating the function and multiplying m, it is determined that the resulting value is acceleration. However, the book states that there is an additional term of V_o, which is the constant of integration. This was initially misunderstood, but it is now clear that all integrals should end with +C.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/Y8NW0

Basically we start with a function of t, which was differentiated twice, that function = [itex] F_o / m [/itex]

Fo is a constant force, and I assume m is mass though my book doesn't state that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating the function, I multiply m to the other side, because I assume m is mass and mass is a constant. so it shouldn't really matter.

since F_o is a force, that means it is Kg * m/s^2, divided by mass which is in kg, you get m/s^2 which is indeed acceleration, the second derivative of time.

Integrating, I get

[itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = \int F_o \, dt [/itex]

[itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = F_o(t) [/itex]

But as you see from the link I provided, the book states
[itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = F_o(t) + V_o[/itex]

First off, I don't even know what V_o is. Is it inital velocity, or is it final velocity? It would make sense for it to be final velocity since [itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt [/itex] is literally velocity itself..

I was under the impression that if you integrate something with respect to time, and that function does not have a time variable, it would simply be that function times the variable t.

Why is it that they are adding V_o in this example?

Physics news on Phys.org
I marked it as solved. I guess I didn't read clearly enough, V_o is the constant of integration.

That makes sense now. Always end your integrals with + C, I feel dumb now..

Related to Can anyone explain this integration for me?

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different pieces of information or knowledge to form a comprehensive understanding of a particular phenomenon, concept, or system. It involves synthesizing information from various disciplines and perspectives to gain a deeper understanding of a topic.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to look at complex systems or problems from multiple angles and combine different types of data to draw more accurate conclusions. It also helps to bridge the gap between different disciplines and promote collaboration between scientists.

3. What are some examples of integration in science?

Examples of integration in science include the study of climate change, which involves integrating data from various fields such as atmospheric science, ecology, and economics. Another example is the use of bioinformatics, which integrates biological data with computational tools to analyze and understand complex biological systems.

4. What are the challenges of integrating different types of data in science?

One of the main challenges of integration in science is the availability and compatibility of data from different sources. This requires the use of standardized methods and protocols for data collection and analysis. Another challenge is the potential biases and limitations of each data type, which must be carefully considered when integrating information.

5. How can scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of integrated data?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of integrated data, scientists must carefully evaluate the quality and validity of each data source. They should also use appropriate statistical methods and techniques to analyze the data and address any potential biases or errors. Additionally, peer review and replication of studies can help to verify the findings of integrated research.