1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone explain this integration for me?

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/a/Y8NW0

Basically we start with a function of t, which was differentiated twice, that function = [itex] F_o / m [/itex]

Fo is a constant force, and I assume m is mass though my book doesn't state that.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrating the function, I multiply m to the other side, because I assume m is mass and mass is a constant. so it shouldn't really matter.

since F_o is a force, that means it is Kg * m/s^2, divided by mass which is in kg, you get m/s^2 which is indeed acceleration, the second derivative of time.

Integrating, I get

[itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = \int F_o \, dt [/itex]

[itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = F_o(t) [/itex]

But as you see from the link I provided, the book states
    [itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt = F_o(t) + V_o[/itex]

First off, I don't even know what V_o is. Is it inital velocity, or is it final velocity? It would make sense for it to be final velocity since [itex] m\int x^{''}(t) \, dt [/itex] is literally velocity itself..

I was under the impression that if you integrate something with respect to time, and that function does not have a time variable, it would simply be that function times the variable t.

Why is it that they are adding V_o in this example?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2
    I marked it as solved. I guess I didn't read clearly enough, V_o is the constant of integration.

That makes sense now. Always end your integrals with + C, I feel dumb now..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted