Need to find out the velocity of water

In summary, the task is to find the velocity in m/s of 3kg/s of fresh water traveling through a pipe with a diameter of 40 mm. The equation used is ##\Pi=S\cdot v##, where ##\Pi## is the volumetric flow rate, ##S## is the cross section area of the pipe, and ##v## is the velocity of the fluid. The solution involves converting the mass flow rate to volumetric flow rate and finding the cross section area of the pipe. The final answer is 2.3873 m/s.
Gregs6799

Homework Statement

3kg/s of fresh water traveling through a pipe of 40 mm, I need to find out the velocity in m/s

Homework Equations

I have tried the equation:
3 / 40

The Attempt at a Solution

3 / 40 = = 0.075m/s
But not sure if I have to covert 3kg/s into another value before entering the equation but understand this is a weight value going into a speed value.
Any help very much appreciated.
Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gregs6799 said:

Homework Statement

3kg/s of fresh water traveling through a pipe of 40 mm, I need to find out the velocity in m/s

Homework Equations

I have tried the equation:
3 / 40
That's not an equation -- it's just a number.
Gregs6799 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

3 / 40 = = 0.075m/s
But not sure if I have to covert 3kg/s into another value before entering the equation but understand this is a weight value going into a speed value.
Any help very much appreciated.
Greg.
Start by finding the volume of 1 Kg of water, and the volume of the inside of the pipe. The inside volume of the pipe is its cross-section area time its length.

The equation is ##\Pi=S\cdot v##. Where ##\Pi## is the volumetric flow rate of fluid , ##S## is the cross section area of the pipe, and ##v ## is the velocity of the fluid.

We have ##\Pi## as ##kg/s## (we actually have the mass flow rate) but you first must convert it to ##m^3/s## (cubic meter per second). As Mark44 says, how much volume in cubic meters does 1kg of water occupy?

Then from the diameter (or is it radius) of 40mm you can calculate S but you got to find S with units of ##m^2## (square meter). And then you can find ##v## in the correct units (##m/s##).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys.

Were not given the length of the pipe but converted 3kg/s to 0.0030 m^3/sec, but I have an answer of 2.3873m/s from using an on-line calculator which sounds about right, just not sure of the formula. I was given:
flowrate.gif

but that comes to 6.11154.
Thanks.

Attachments

• flowrate.gif
    flowrate.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 422

1. How do I measure the velocity of water?

The velocity of water can be measured using various methods such as using a flow meter, timing a floating object over a known distance, or using Doppler ultrasound technology. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the most suitable method for your specific needs.

2. Why is it important to know the velocity of water?

The velocity of water is an important factor in many scientific studies and engineering projects. It can help determine the flow rate of a river or stream, the energy potential of a water source, and the effectiveness of irrigation systems or water treatment processes. Knowing the velocity of water can also help in predicting and preventing natural disasters such as floods.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of water?

The velocity of water can be affected by various factors such as the slope or gradient of the water source, the shape and size of the channel, and the roughness of the channel bed. Other factors include the volume and type of sediment in the water, the presence of obstacles or obstructions, and the temperature and density of the water.

4. How is the velocity of water related to its pressure?

The velocity of water is directly related to its pressure, according to Bernoulli's principle. As the velocity of water increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used in hydraulic engineering to calculate the pressure and flow rate of water in pipes and channels.

5. Can the velocity of water change over time?

Yes, the velocity of water can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the water source or channel, variations in weather and climate conditions, and human activities such as dam construction or water diversion projects. It is important to regularly monitor and measure the velocity of water to track any changes and make necessary adjustments in engineering projects or water management plans.