Heat transfer -- length of the tube required to heat water....

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the length of a tube required to heat water flowing at a certain rate and temperature. The equations and attempts at a solution are shown, but there is confusion over certain values and assumptions made. The conversation ends with the expert doubting the accuracy of the calculations and requesting more information before providing further help.
Ian Limjap

Homework Statement

Water flowing at the rate 3.5 kg s−1 through a tube with an inner diameter of 2 cm is to be heated from 20 to 40◦C. If the tube wall temperature is maintained at 90◦C, determine the length of the tube required.

Homework Equations

Q'=Cp*m*(DeltaT)
Q=2*pi*r*L*Q'

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=mass flowrate*Cp(DeltaT)
=3.5*4.18*10^3*(40-20)=292600J/s
L=Q/2*pi*rQ'
However, I'm missing Q and L.
I would like to know if I need the prandlt number for this question or the viscosity of water? Would I need more information to solve this problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You need to determine the Reynolds number, the Prantdl number, and then the Nussult number. You need to determine the heat transfer coefficient. Also, you sign for the heat load is wrong.

Chet

Thanks for replying.

I ended up with L=(0.023Re^0.8Pr^0.4kA(Tw-T))/q

Ian Limjap said:
I ended up with L=(0.023Re^0.8Pr^0.4kA(Tw-T))/q
What value did you use for T in this equation? How could the length increase with decreasing q? How could the length increase with increasing heat transfer coefficient? Is A the wetted perimeter, the cross sectional area, or the total surface area? You need to go back and get your algebra correct.

What value do you calculate for the heat load?
What values do you calculate for the Reynolds number and the Prantdl number?
What value do you calculate for the Nussult number?
What value do you calculate for the heat transfer coefficient?
What value do you calculate for the log-mean temperature difference?
What value do you calculate for the required heat transfer area?

Chet

Again, thanks for replying.

Hi, my answer is
L=0.0165m

I used the mean of the bulk inlet and outlet temperatures and used that to find the properties of the fluid.

I apologise for the confusion I wasn't really given an answer for this.

Does the required heat transfer into the fluid stream really take place in just a 16,5 mm length of 20 mm bore pipe ?

Re: your message in which you ask 'what do I mean ?'

Intuitively your answer seems wrong .

In any case all the assumptions and calculation methods usually used to estimate heat transfer in pipes are going to be of very doubtful validity when used on a pipe which is actually shorter than it's diameter .

Ian Limjap said:
Hi, my answer is
L=0.0165m
Now let's see the answers to the questions I asked in post #5. Nidum and I are both doubtful about what you did.

I got about 100m.

I did my calculations again and I ended up with 100m.

Ian Limjap said:
I did my calculations again and I ended up with 100m.
I still doubt that you got it right. Until you answer my questions, I won't be responding to any more of your threads. And believe me when I say that your really need help with that other heat transfer thread you started.

Chet

1. How does the length of the tube affect heat transfer in heating water?

The length of the tube has a direct impact on the rate of heat transfer in heating water. A longer tube means a larger surface area for heat exchange to occur, resulting in a faster and more efficient transfer of heat energy from the heating source to the water.

2. Is there an optimal length for the tube when heating water?

The optimal length of the tube for heating water depends on various factors such as the type of heating source, the desired temperature of the water, and the flow rate of the water. Generally, a longer tube will result in a faster heat transfer, but it is important to consider other factors to determine the most efficient length for the specific heating system.

3. Can the length of the tube affect the temperature of the water?

Yes, the length of the tube can affect the temperature of the water. A longer tube allows for more time and surface area for heat exchange to occur, resulting in a higher temperature of the water as it travels through the tube.

4. How does the material of the tube impact heat transfer when heating water?

The material of the tube can significantly impact heat transfer when heating water. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, will result in a faster heat transfer compared to materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as plastic or rubber.

5. Can the length of the tube be adjusted to control the temperature of the water?

Yes, adjusting the length of the tube can be an effective way to control the temperature of the water. By increasing or decreasing the length of the tube, the surface area for heat exchange can be altered, resulting in a higher or lower temperature of the water as it travels through the tube.