Need to know what the K stands for in this equation

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LocalStudent
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
LocalStudent
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
I'm busy solving a physics question and I am getting unexpected results.

I just want to check if I am using the right constant in this equation:
I am using the equation to find the Root Mean Squared speed = √(8/3∏) √3kT/m

Is k in this equation the Boltzmann constant? (1.4e-23)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is. (As long as you are indeed talking about the RMS speed of a molecular gas or some such at temperature T with molecular mass m)
 
Matterwave said:
Yes it is. (As long as you are indeed talking about the RMS speed of a molecular gas or some such at temperature T with molecular mass m)

Thanks. Then I must be going wrong somewhere else.. I'm sure I'll find it. Thanks again
 
T is in Kelvin, is that the temperature scale you have used?
 
I've used kelvin. And mass in kilograms.

Thanks for the input. I'll post the actual question later and you could see if I've done it correctly or not.
 
Have you been careful and told your calculator what the correct radicands are? That is, have you used parantheses around the full expression that should stand under the square root signs?