1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Needed background before ME

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    Ok guys, i'm not quite sure is this is in the right place. My question is, what is the background i need to have before i start this degree?

I'm thinking about applying for Me next year, but i'm concerned i don't have the enough background in Science/Mathematics.

( Btw, i'm from Portugal and i will apply for this degree here, i read a report by a former MIT teacher who came to Portugal to teach in the same University i'll apply.

His main point was that the amount of things an engineer learns here in Portugal in university is more than in MIT, his opinion was that here they aren't very concerned about what their students do know when they finish their degree, but in the amount of material they teach. )

Sorry if i made some typos.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2
    My back ground before I started my degree was in cabinet making, so basically no experience with mechanical engineering. I had a strong interest and a good aptitude for math and science, and now I'm finishing up my 2nd year. Not that it matters but I am now 28 years old, so don't let age hold you back either!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Mar 14, 2012 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think as a general rule high school level physics and calculus are general prerequisites, although some colleges provide calculus based on your aptitude tests when entering.

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4
    So, solid understanding in Pre Calculus and high school Physics and Chemistry?

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup that sounds about right. The more science and math you take the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook