Getting a Masters in Structures in a different country

In summary, the individual is a civil engineering student from Portugal considering getting a masters degree in structures. They are looking for opinions on getting a masters outside of their country due to limited job opportunities in Portugal. Their first option is the US or Canada, but they are concerned about potential difficulties getting hired in Portugal due to different codes. Alternately, they are considering getting a masters in Europe, where codes are more similar and job prospects may be better. They are seeking advice on which option would be better for their future job prospects.
tacaro25
So, I'm a fellow civil engineering from Portugal pretending to get a masters in structures. Would like to hear some opinions on getting a masters from an university out of my country, becasue sadly, in Portugal, there a are very few jobs for new civil engineers, and the ones we got are mostly in construction management, wish is an area i don't particulary like and the pay is very low, i think the average is like 600-700 euro per month wish is like 100 euro more than someone who works at McDonalds here for example.
So here are my questions:

- My first option would be to go the USA or Canada, because i feel like these are the places where i could make a very good career as a structural engineer. My only fear is if i someday had to come back to Portugal i couldn't get hired because i worked and took the masters in the US, wish use different codes than here.
-My other options would be taking the masters in England, Germany or Netherlands and if i would have to come back home i think i could find a job more easily because the codes are almost the same in Europe (help me in this).
So basically what you think is better? Going to the US/Canada or staying in Europe?

P.S. I am asking this because i would have a much better chance of getting hired, let's say in London, if i took the masters there than if i took it here in Portugal.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend a masters in Europe (e.g. the UK) over North America, as it will be clearer for prospective future employers in Europe whether it complies to the Bologna accord or not. Additionally, masters programmes in Europe tend to be both slightly shorter to complete and significantly cheaper than in the US.

1. What is the benefit of getting a Masters in Structures in a different country?

Getting a Masters in Structures in a different country can provide you with a unique and diverse educational experience. It allows you to learn from different perspectives and gain a global outlook on your field of study. It can also enhance your cultural competency and open up opportunities for international career opportunities.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a Masters in Structures in a different country?

The duration of a Masters in Structures program in a different country can vary depending on the country and specific program. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 years to complete. However, some programs may offer accelerated options or part-time study, which can affect the length of the program.

3. Is it necessary to be fluent in the language of the country I want to study in?

It is not always necessary to be fluent in the language of the country you want to study in, as many universities offer Masters programs taught in English. However, it may be beneficial to have a basic understanding of the language to navigate daily life and communicate with locals.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for international students pursuing a Masters in Structures?

Yes, there are often scholarships and financial aid options available for international students pursuing a Masters in Structures in a different country. These can include merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, and government-funded programs. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

5. Will a Masters in Structures from a different country be recognized in my home country?

In most cases, a Masters degree from a reputable university in a different country will be recognized and accepted in your home country. However, it is always best to check with your country's educational system or potential employers to confirm recognition and any necessary steps for accreditation.