Negative Concave Lens - Creating a Beam Expander

In summary: So a positive lens can become negative and a negative lens can become positive.In summary, a negative concave lens is a lens that has a focal point 500mm behind the lens. It is meant for use with a diverging concave lens.
tryingtolearn1
I am trying to create a beam expander. I purchased 3 double convex and 3 double concave lens (200mm, 300mm and 500mm). But for the diverging concave lens I need a negative -500mm lens. What exactly is a negative concave lens? I am unable to find anything on amazon or any other site that has a negative mm concave lens.

Science news on Phys.org
tryingtolearn1 said:
What exactly is a negative concave lens?
There seems to be no dearth of info on the Innertoobs about it. What is confusing you?
1605224546745.png
tryingtolearn1 said:
negative -500mm lens
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty confident in my deduction. Its focal point will be 500mm behind the lens:

1605224689625.png

Likes sophiecentaur
DaveC426913 said:
There seems to be no dearth of info on the Innertoobs about it. What is confusing you?
View attachment 272550
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty confident in my deduction. Its focal point will be 500mm behind the lens:

View attachment 272551
I see, ty! The thing that confused me is that I have seen concave lens that is marked with the measurement of -75mm and other concave lens that are marked with 75mm so I didn't know what the difference was between the two. It may have just been a particular manufacture who marks there measurements that way.

tryingtolearn1 said:
What exactly is a negative concave lens?
The statement is a bit confusing as negative and concave effectively mean the same thing.

A concave lens has a negative focal length so calling it a "negative concave" lens is somewhat tautological.

A convex lens has a positive focal length.

When you use the formula 1/u + 1/v = 1/f, f will be a positive number for a convex lens and a negative number for a concave lens.

Likes tryingtolearn1
Frodo said:
The statement is a bit confusing as negative and concave effectively mean the same thing.

A concave lens has a negative focal length so calling it a "negative concave" lens is somewhat tautological.

A convex lens has a positive focal length.

When you use the formula 1/u + 1/v = 1/f, f will be a positive number for a convex lens and a negative number for a concave lens.
Again, I'm not an expert in optic, but...

Concave and convex describe a face of a lens. Every lens has two faces.

It is possible to have two different lenses - both having a concave and a convex surface - yet one can be positive and one negative.

Look at examples 3 and 4 in the pic I provided:

1605293238748.png

Thank you for the clarification though I think you are off topic.

The original post said "double convex" and "double concave" and asked "What exactly is a negative concave lens?" I was answering this limited case - what is a negative double concave lens? My answer is then correct.

The important fact for the OP to take away is that the size and sign of the focal length characterises the lens (ignoring the aperture). A positive lens converges a parallel beam of light to a focus. A negative lens diverges a parallel beam of light.

I think my comment still stands in that "negative concave" is tautological. As there is no mention of convex it suggests both faces must be concave making the negative superfluous. And, if one is allowed to use "negative concave" presumably one can also use "positive concave" which, is, I think, impossible with two concave faces.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Many spectacle lenses are ‘concavo convex ‘ to keep a strong positive lens away from your eyelashes.

Likes DaveC426913
Off topic, but you can distort a lens in a process known as lens bending where the lens keeps essentially the same characteristics.
lens bending.png

1. What is a negative concave lens?

A negative concave lens is a type of lens that is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges. It is also known as a diverging lens because it causes light rays to spread out rather than converge at a focal point.

2. How does a negative concave lens create a beam expander?

A negative concave lens creates a beam expander by diverging the light rays that pass through it. This causes the beam of light to spread out, increasing its width and decreasing its intensity. The amount of expansion depends on the curvature and thickness of the lens.

3. What are the advantages of using a negative concave lens as a beam expander?

One advantage of using a negative concave lens as a beam expander is that it is relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other methods of beam expansion. It also allows for a more uniform expansion of the beam, resulting in a more even distribution of light.

4. Are there any limitations to using a negative concave lens as a beam expander?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a negative concave lens as a beam expander. One limitation is that the amount of expansion is limited by the curvature and thickness of the lens. Additionally, the beam may become distorted if the lens is not aligned properly.

5. How can I calculate the amount of expansion achieved by a negative concave lens?

The amount of expansion achieved by a negative concave lens can be calculated using the formula: E = (1 + d/f) * D, where E is the amount of expansion, d is the distance between the lens and the object, f is the focal length of the lens, and D is the diameter of the lens. This formula assumes that the lens is placed close to the object and the beam is collimated.