Negative Energy Solutions to Photon Wavefunction

In summary: QED, Feynman, said that in order to get a negative energy photon, you would have to go back in time and create a negative energy state.I don't believe this has been done or is currently being done, as it would require negative energy to begin with.
RoKo
Hello:

My question is simple: Does not the standard differential wave equation from Maxwell's relations lead to both positive and negative energy solutions for a photon's E field? If so, then why do we always throw away the negative energy solutions? Is this just custom? I suspect it is. But when considering excitations of the vacuum, it appears to me that the negative energy solutions for the photon would be important. Are they thrown away by QED theorists?

Could it be possible to create a zero energy superposition state with positive energy photons superposed to negative energy photons? And would that state not take zero energy to make, by definition? What would the wave function of such a state look like then?

Maybe QED theorists treat negative energy photons as positive energy photons moving backwards in time.

And when dealing with negative energy photons, is there not the apparent necessity of understanding how the E and B fields transform under energy inversion? So, perhaps the E and B fields of positive and negative photons don't superpose in such a simple manner.

I believe this all relates to an important real-world physics problem, and I believe I know some of the answers I am seeking, but because I am an experimentalist, I am seeking advice from a "higher authority."

Thanks for your help.

RoKo

Science news on Phys.org
RoKo said:
Hello:

My question is simple: Does not the standard differential wave equation from Maxwell's relations lead to both positive and negative energy solutions for a photon's E field?
RoKo

Does it gives a negative solution?

Long time ago I learned that the Dirac equation for spin half electron gives negative energy solution.

matematikawan said:
Does it gives a negative solution?

Long time ago I learned that the Dirac equation for spin half electron gives negative energy solution.

Yes, I believe that if you carefully work through the standard differential equation for the photon, you will see that there are negative energy solutions.

Dirac did indeed get negative mass solutions for the electron and that led him eventually to come up with the idea for the positron. So, antiparticles have their basis with the negative mass electron.

But I don't believe anyone has ever searched for either negative energy photons or negative mass electrons. Do they exist? I believe maybe they do.

RoKo

RoKo said:
... Dirac did indeed get negative mass solutions for the electron and that led him eventually to come up with the idea for the positron. So, antiparticles have their basis with the negative mass electron...

RoKo,

Does it means that Dirac’s prediction don’t derived from the negative mass solutions, because positron has opposite charge not a mass.

This is really a physics question, not mathematics, so I am moving it.

RoKo said:
Hello:

My question is simple: Does not the standard differential wave equation from Maxwell's relations lead to both positive and negative energy solutions for a photon's E field? If so, then why do we always throw away the negative energy solutions? Is this just custom? I suspect it is. But when considering excitations of the vacuum, it appears to me that the negative energy solutions for the photon would be important. Are they thrown away by QED theorists?

Could it be possible to create a zero energy superposition state with positive energy photons superposed to negative energy photons? And would that state not take zero energy to make, by definition? What would the wave function of such a state look like then?

Maybe QED theorists treat negative energy photons as positive energy photons moving backwards in time.

And when dealing with negative energy photons, is there not the apparent necessity of understanding how the E and B fields transform under energy inversion? So, perhaps the E and B fields of positive and negative photons don't superpose in such a simple manner.

I believe this all relates to an important real-world physics problem, and I believe I know some of the answers I am seeking, but because I am an experimentalist, I am seeking advice from a "higher authority."

Thanks for your help.

RoKo

Give me a solution in which E field has a negative energy.
I mean classical, Maxwellian. No QED.

RoKo said:
Hello:

My question is simple: Does not the standard differential wave equation from Maxwell's relations lead to both positive and negative energy solutions for a photon's E field?

Does not; the energy of an Electric field goes as E^2 (where E is the electric field), therefore there are only positive energy solutions...at least with Maxwell's eqns.

Creator

1. What is negative energy in relation to photon wavefunction?

Negative energy refers to the concept in quantum mechanics that particles, such as photons, can exist in energy states below their ground state. This means that the particle has less energy than it would in its lowest possible energy state. In the context of photon wavefunction, negative energy solutions refer to the possibility of photons existing in energy states below the ground state, which can have implications for certain physical phenomena.

2. How do negative energy solutions affect the behavior of photons?

Negative energy solutions can affect the behavior of photons in various ways. For example, they can lead to the phenomenon of vacuum polarization, where virtual particles are created due to the presence of a strong electric field. Negative energy solutions can also play a role in the Casimir effect, where two uncharged plates placed close together experience an attractive force due to the presence of virtual particles. Additionally, negative energy solutions can impact the propagation of light in certain materials, leading to effects such as birefringence.

3. Can negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction be observed in experiments?

While negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction have been predicted by theoretical models, they have not been directly observed in experiments. This is because the energy levels required for their existence are very small and difficult to detect. However, indirect evidence for their existence has been observed in experiments studying the Casimir effect and other phenomena.

4. What are the potential applications of negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction?

The potential applications of negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction are still being explored. One potential application is in the development of new materials with unique optical properties, such as metamaterials. Negative energy solutions may also have implications for quantum computing and information processing.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the concept of negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction?

There is ongoing debate and research surrounding the concept of negative energy solutions to photon wavefunction. Some scientists argue that these solutions are purely mathematical artifacts and do not have physical significance, while others believe that they could have real-world implications. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the role of negative energy solutions in the behavior of photons.