1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative pole of magnet deflects electrons?

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    I watched a video there about cathode ray tubes and the guy in the video demonstrated the negative pole of a magnet deflecting the beam and the positive pole attracting the beam. I know that moving electrical charges create magnetic fields but I didn't know their magnetic fields always deflect negative magnetic poles. I'm having trouble visualizing this. Doesn't a moving electron have a positive and negative magnetic pole just like any other particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    Poles of magnets neither attract nor repel beams of moving electric charges. Magnets do deflect beams, but in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field. The force on the beam is always perpendicular to the direction of motion, so the beam is bent into a circle.

So the force on the beam is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion.

I attach a thumbnail photo of an electron beam in a vacuum tube being bent into a circle by a pair of Helmholtz (magnetic solenoid) coils.

Bob S

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook