Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neglecting terms in a Lagrangian

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Say we have a Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L}=\bar{u}i\kern+0.15em /\kern-0.65em Du+\bar{d}i\kern+0.15em /\kern-0.65em Dd-m_u\bar{u}u-m_d\bar{d}d,[/tex]
    where u and d are fermions. In Peskin&Schroeder p. 667 it says that if [tex]m_u[/tex] and [tex]m_d[/tex] are very small, we can neglect the last two terms of the Lagrangian.

I'd like to know a somewhat rigorous reason for this.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2
    Ok nevermind, it's just from the Dirac equation.

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    In physics, quantities which are small compared to others are simply set to zero as an approximation. This is exactly what happens here.

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The problem is that setting the quark masses to zero changes the symmetry structure of the theory. Therefore for some effects there is no smooth limit to mq → 0.

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    True for numbers, but the components of the Lagrangian are operators.

Yes that's what I was thinking also. But they took the approximation as a step towards a discussion about spontaneous symmetry breaking in QCD, so it was very well motivated.

7. Jan 27, 2012 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In QCD the chiral symmetry breaking results in massless Goldstone bosons (pions) and non-zero quark masses add small explicit symmetry breaking terms; what you get is something like

[tex]m_\pi^2 = (m_u + m_d)\frac{M^2}{f_\pi}[/tex]

where M is related to the quark condensate which acts as order parameter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook