Net electric field-whats wromg with this?

In summary, the figure depicts two charged particles on an x-axis with -q = -8.00 × 10-19 C at x = -1.50 m and q = 8.00 × 10-19 C at x = 1.50 m. The task is to determine the x- and y-components of the net electric field at point P located at y = 5.00 m. Using the equation E=kqcos(theta)/r^2, with k = 8.99e9 and theta = 73.3, the magnitude of the x-component of the field was calculated to be 7.58e-11 N/C or V/m. The tutorial suggests adding individual vectors to
nothingatall

Homework Statement

The figure shows two charged particles on an x axis: -q = -8.00 × 10-19 C at x = -1.50 m and q = 8.00 × 10-19 C at x = 1.50 m. What are the (a)x- and (b)y- components of the net electric field produced at point P at y = 5.00 m?

Homework Equations

E=kqcos(theta)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through the tutorial to solve the problem and i got:
What is the magnitude of the x component of the field set up by particle 1 (or particle 2)?

Number 7.58e-11 Units N/C or V/m

-- that was correct but the question is what are the net components of the net field and i put in that number and its wrong. What step am i missing?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nothingatall! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
nothingatall said:
The figure shows two charged particles on an x axis: -q = -8.00 × 10-19 C at x = -1.50 m and q = 8.00 × 10-19 C at x = 1.50 m. What are the (a)x- and (b)y- components of the net electric field produced at point P at y = 5.00 m?

What is the magnitude of the x component of the field set up by particle 1 (or particle 2)?

Number 7.58e-11 Units N/C or V/m

-- that was correct but the question is what are the net components of the net field and i put in that number and its wrong. What step am i missing?

Perhpas I'm misunderstanding what you did, but don't you have to double it for two charges? :confused:

Well i got 7.58e-11 using E=kqcos(theta)/r^2; r=5.22 m distance bewteen particle 1 and point P and the field set up by particle 1 and point P was 2.64e-10. Then the tutorial mentions adding individual vectors to get the net field but should the 7.58e-11 value be the one I double?

(just got up :zzz: …)
nothingatall said:
… Then the tutorial mentions adding individual vectors to get the net field but should the 7.58e-11 value be the one I double?

Yes, you add the vectors to get the total field.

Alternatively, you can add the x components to get the x component of the total field (and the same for the y components).

If the x components of the two fields are the same, of course you can just double one of them.

If one's minus the other, then of course they add to zero.

Which is it in this case for the x components? And for the y components? :smile:

For the y-comp the answer was 0 because they cancel out. However I just doubled 7.58e-11 and i got 1.52e-10 and its wrong... Oh wait magnitude means do the Sqrt(7.58e-11^2+0^2) right?

Never mind its the same:(

Hi nothingatall! :smile:

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
nothingatall said:
For the y-comp the answer was 0 because they cancel out.

Yup! :smile: (I was just testing, of course :wink:)
However I just doubled 7.58e-11 and i got 1.52e-10 and its wrong... Oh wait magnitude means do the Sqrt(7.58e-11^2+0^2) right?

Never mind its the same:(
nothingatall said:
Well i got 7.58e-11 using E=kqcos(theta)/r^2; r=5.22 m distance bewteen particle 1 and point P and the field set up by particle 1 and point P was 2.64e-10.

Yes, 5.22 m is correct. :smile:

What values did you use for k and for cosθ ?

I used 8.99e9 for k and my theta= 73.3.

Ah I just add a negative to my 1.52e-10!

Thank you for your help!

1. What is a net electric field?

A net electric field is the overall electric field at a point in space, taking into account all the individual electric fields from different sources. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific location.

2. How is a net electric field calculated?

A net electric field is calculated by summing up all the individual electric fields at a point. This can be done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each electric field are taken into account.

3. What can cause a net electric field to be incorrect?

There are several factors that can cause a net electric field to be incorrect. These include incorrect measurements, miscalculations, and the presence of other external electric fields that may interfere with the net electric field.

4. Can a net electric field be negative?

Yes, a net electric field can be negative. This simply means that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the positive charge. Electric fields can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the charge distribution in the system.

5. How is a net electric field different from an electric potential?

A net electric field and electric potential are related but different concepts. The electric potential at a point is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at that point. The net electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge at that point.