Net electrical flux on a cylindrical Gaussian Surface

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical solid with charge q, radius R, and length H, and a Gaussian surface S, which is a cylindrical shell with radius r and length h, where r < R. The task is to determine the net electric flux using q = -48Q, R = 4L, H = 3L, r = 2L, and h = 2L as given values. To solve this problem, one needs to find the charge density of the large cylinder, which is the charge per volume, and then multiply it by the volume of the Gaussian surface. The answer should be entered as an integer value without units.
Broem

Homework Statement

a cylindrical solid of charge q, radius R, and length H. The Gaussian surface S is a cylindrical shell of radius r and length h, with r < R. Determine the net electric flux given that q = -48Q, R = 4L, H = 3L, r = 2L, and h = 2L (type the integer value, along with the sign, without typing units Q/e0):

Homework Equations

Inet = Qenclosed / ε = δ A / ε
Vsphere = ∏r^2 h

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using my V in substitute for the A so:
-48Q*(∏2^2 * 2) / ε
But I am unable to find the correct solution. I'm really lost when it comes to this in theory. Also, the results in form Q/ε...I understand sort of. Do I use ε as 8.85E-12 or does it remain as just the known variable?
Please let me know how I can approach this and also how to ask this question better :)

Attachments

• gauss_cyl_in.jpg
    gauss_cyl_in.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Broem said:

Homework Statement

a cylindrical solid of charge q, radius R, and length H. The Gaussian surface S is a cylindrical shell of radius r and length h, with r < R. Determine the net electric flux given that q = -48Q, R = 4L, H = 3L, r = 2L, and h = 2L (type the integer value, along with the sign, without typing units Q/e0):

Homework Equations

Inet = Qenclosed / ε = δ A / ε
Vsphere = ∏r^2 h

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using my V in substitute for the A so:
-48Q*(∏2^2 * 2) / ε
But I am unable to find the correct solution. I'm really lost when it comes to this in theory.

Looks like you are multiplying the total charge (-48Q) of the large cylinder times the volume of the smaller Gaussian surface. Instead, you need to multiply the charge density by the Gaussian volume. Only that way will the units work out for the enclosed charge:
(charge density)·(volume) → (C/m3)·(m3) = C → charge units, as desired

So ... start by finding the charge density, that's the charge per volume, for the larger cylinder of charge q=-48Q.

Also, the results in form Q/ε...I understand sort of. Do I use ε as 8.85E-12 or does it remain as just the known variable?
I think they mean, if the answer comes out to be -19Q/ε, then you'd just enter -19 as your answer.
Please let me know how I can approach this and also how to ask this question better :)
The best way to ask is exactly how it is asked in your textbook or wherever you got the problem from. I am assuming that the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the large cylinder. You didn't say so in your post, but I am wondering if the actual problem statement says something along those lines?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

Thank you soooooo much Redbelly98! I can't believe it was that elementary, I had been stuck on this problem for far too long. I really appreciate the great direction.
Thanks for the warm welcome as well!
:approve::approve::approve:

What is net electrical flux?

Net electrical flux is the measure of electric field passing through a given surface. It is a scalar quantity and is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the surface area.

What is a cylindrical Gaussian surface?

A cylindrical Gaussian surface is a hypothetical curved surface used to calculate the net electrical flux passing through it. It is often chosen to simplify the calculation process, as it has a uniform electric field and a known surface area.

How do you calculate the net electrical flux on a cylindrical Gaussian surface?

The net electrical flux on a cylindrical Gaussian surface can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the surface area. The electric field strength can be determined by using Gauss's Law, which states that the net flux passing through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What factors affect the net electrical flux on a cylindrical Gaussian surface?

The net electrical flux on a cylindrical Gaussian surface is affected by the strength of the electric field, the size of the surface area, and the amount of charge enclosed by the surface.

Why is the concept of net electrical flux important in science?

The concept of net electrical flux is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different surfaces and charges. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism and has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.