Net force exerted on the two-particle system

In summary, the net force exerted on the two-particle system is -1.93515 μN in the i-hat direction. The net force was found by taking the second derivative of the position vectors and dividing the product of the mass and acceleration of the second particle by the total mass of the system. The units are in micro-Newtons because the given measurements are in centimeters and grams.
Demix500
net force exerted on the system quick question- halllp lol.

Homework Statement

The vector position of a 3.10 g particle moving in the xy plane varies in time according to the following equation.

r1 = (3i+3j)t + 2jt^2

At the same time, the vector position of a 5.15 g particle varies according to the following equation.
r2= 3i-2it^2 -6jt

For each equation, t is in s and r is in cm. Solve the following when t = 2.00

(e) Find the net force exerted on the two-particle system.
i μN
j μN

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Took the 2nd derivative to get the acceleration vectors.

r1 : 4 j (mass is 3.1g)
r2 : -4 i (mass is 5.15g)

I tried this:

( (m2)(4 i) ) / (m1 + m2)

and got -1.93515 in the i-hat direction. It is incorrect : "Your answer is off by a multiple of ten."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Demix500 said:
Took the 2nd derivative to get the acceleration vectors.

r1 : 4 j (mass is 3.1g)
r2 : -4 i (mass is 5.15g)
Looks good.

I tried this:

( (m2)(4 i) ) / (m1 + m2)
Not sure what you were going for here.

What's the net force on each mass?

Well the vector r2 is the only mass going in the i-hat direction. And since its a system, I divided by the total mass

Demix500 said:
Well the vector r2 is the only mass going in the i-hat direction.
Were you trying to find one component of the net force?
And since its a system, I divided by the total mass
Does that make sense? Check units.

The answers they want is in μN. Newtons I understand, but what is μ doing in there?

Demix500 said:
The answers they want is in μN. Newtons I understand, but what is μ doing in there?
That just means micro = 10-6. (Realize that you're given measurements in cm and grams.)

1. What is net force exerted on a two-particle system?

The net force exerted on a two-particle system is the sum of all the forces acting on the two particles. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force.

2. How is net force calculated for a two-particle system?

To calculate the net force on a two-particle system, the individual forces acting on each particle must be added together vectorially. This means combining the forces in terms of their magnitude and direction using vector addition.

3. Can the net force exerted on a two-particle system be negative?

Yes, the net force exerted on a two-particle system can be negative. This means that the overall force acting on the system is in the opposite direction of the motion of the particles, resulting in a deceleration or change in direction.

4. How does the mass of the particles affect the net force on a two-particle system?

The mass of the particles does not directly affect the net force on a two-particle system. However, the individual forces acting on each particle will be affected by their masses, and this will ultimately impact the net force on the system.

5. Is the net force exerted on a two-particle system always constant?

No, the net force on a two-particle system can change over time. As the particles move and interact with other forces, the net force may increase, decrease, or even change direction. It is important to continuously calculate the net force to accurately predict the motion of the particles.