Net forces on a charge particle

In summary, the homework statement asks for help calculating the force on a left positive charge due to the other two charges. The attempt at a solution shows that the left positive charge will feel a force pulling it inwards, and through symmetry I can say that the right positive charge will be pulled inwards due to the force of the other charges. Based on this, the solution is D.
pondzo

Homework Statement

I have attatched a snapshot explaining the question

Homework Equations

## \vec{F} = \frac{kq_{1}q_{2}}{r^2}\hat{r} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I will calculate the force on the left charge due to the other two

## \vec{F}_{net} = \frac{-kq^2}{d^2}(-1,0)+\frac{kq^2}{(2d)^2}(-1,0) = (\frac{3kq^2}{4d^2},0) ##
Which means the left positive charge will feel a force pulling it inwards, and through symmetry I can say that the right positive charge will be pulled inwards due to the force of the other charges.
Also for the negative charge; ## \vec{F}_{net} = \frac{-kq^2}{d^2}(-1,0)+\frac{-kq^2}{d^2}(1,0) = 0 ##
Based on this i would choose option D.

I was wondering if I have come to the right conclusion, if my calculations are correct, and if the way I approach the problem is correct. Thank you.

Attachments

• Physics QN 1.PNG
    Physics QN 1.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
You need reassurance ? PF isn't really meant for that.
Or do you want some tips for this kind of (low didactical quality) questions ?

First you have to check if only one answer is right, or that perhaps more than one (or, wow, none) is correct.
Here it clearly says ONE, so no problemo.

Second: try to be economical: if no calculations are needed, don't make them. Same charge further away = less F suffices. Or: twice as far, quarter the force.

Then: A and B are clearly nonsense. So is C (no calculating needed).
Elementary, Watson: D is left and it passes scrutiny.
Double check and move on to the next exercise.

[edit] and yes, your calculations are correct...

Well actually, this was a question on my physics test. And yes it was the easiest low quality question, which is why I posted it in the "introductory physics" section, just in case you missed that.

Anyway the point is, in the marking key, the solution was listed as E. So I wanted to see what the PF community thought before I made an appeal. But thanks for your comments anyway.

Ah, you saved a nice bombshell for later.

I'll add a tip: read all answers before embarking on choosing something. More or less as a reminder to myself (I missed E completeley :redface:, a reason to be modest instead of feeling insulted...).

Make your appeal ! And don't mention PF, it really isn't meant for that -- but please tell us how it went !

BvU said:
You need reassurance ? PF isn't really meant for that.
My understanding of the rules is that this kind of question is perfectly acceptable.

1. What is a net force on a charge particle?

A net force on a charge particle is the overall force acting on the particle, taking into account all individual forces that are acting on it.

2. How is the net force on a charge particle calculated?

The net force on a charge particle is calculated by summing up all the individual forces acting on the particle, taking into account their directions and magnitudes.

3. What factors affect the net force on a charge particle?

The net force on a charge particle is affected by the strength of the individual forces acting on it, as well as the distance between the particle and the source of the forces.

4. What happens to the net force on a charge particle when it is in an electric field?

When a charge particle is in an electric field, it will experience a net force in the direction of the field if the particle has the same charge as the source of the field, or in the opposite direction if the particle has the opposite charge.

5. How does the net force on a charge particle affect its motion?

The net force on a charge particle affects its motion by causing it to accelerate in the direction of the net force. The particle will continue to move in this direction until another force acts on it or the net force is balanced out by other forces.