Net ionic equation and Redox equation confused

In summary: The correct method is to use the data book to find the strong OA and SRA. Multiply one or both half equation by the number that will bring the number of electrons to the lowest common multiple. Add them together and cancel the identical ion.
Nope

Homework Statement

Write the net ionic equation for H2SO4(aq) to the KMnO4(aq)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on which one should i write.
The first method is to list all the species, then use the data book to find which one is the strong OA and SRA. Multiply one or both half equation by the number that will bring the number of electrons to the lowest common multiple. Add them together and cancel the identical ion.
The second is net ionic equation, H+ +SO4- + K+ MnO4- --> ...
I got two different answer. I have to no idea when to use redox or net ionic...
If anyone can tell me the difference...
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reducing agent in the question; something is wrong.

--

Isn't water act as RA?

And what is it oxidized to?

--

I don't know, but this is i work...
H+ SO42- K+ MnO4- H2O
SOA: MnO4- + 8H+ +5e---> Mn2+ + 4H2O
since H2O is the only RA, so water will be the SRA
SRA: 2H2O ---> O2 + 4H+ +4e
the balanced redox equation:
4MnO4- + 12H+ ---> 4Mn2+ + 6H2O + 5O2

Last edited:
In permanganate decomposition it is not water that is getting oxidized, but oxygen from permanganate.

--

I don't understand...:\
How can i solve it?
Btw, The followed question is why it would not be a good idea for us to add the H2SO4 directly to the KMnO4 solution during this lab?
this is one of my lab question. In the lab, we were trying to find the concentration of KMnO4 using the primary standard, and then use the calculated concentration to find another concentration of the H2O2 solution.
H2SO4 was added into the primary standard and H2O2 solution..

Last edited:
Nope said:
I don't understand...:\
How can i solve it?

I told you much earlier - there is no reducing agent in the system. To some extent there is no solution - unless you will treat decomposition of the permanganate as redox reaction, but then both reduction and oxidation occur in the same molecule. Which technically can be classified as redox.

Btw, The followed question is why it would not be a good idea for us to add the H2SO4 directly to the KMnO4 solution during this lab?

Read about solutions used in permanganate titration.

this is one of my lab question. In the lab, we were trying to find the concentration of KMnO4 using the primary standard, and then use the calculated concentration to find another concentration of the H2O2 solution.
H2SO4 was added into the primary standard and H2O2 solution..

http://www.titrations.info/permanganate-titration

Sulfuric acid is necessary to have high enough oxidation potential of the permanganate solution.

--
methods

1. What is the difference between a net ionic equation and a redox equation?

A net ionic equation only shows the species that are involved in a chemical reaction, while a redox equation shows the transfer of electrons between species.

2. How do I know when to use a net ionic equation versus a redox equation?

A net ionic equation is typically used when the reaction involves strong electrolytes, while a redox equation is used when there is a transfer of electrons between species.

3. Can a net ionic equation and a redox equation be the same?

No, a net ionic equation and a redox equation are two different types of chemical equations and cannot be the same. However, a redox equation can be written as a net ionic equation by omitting spectator ions.

4. How do I balance a net ionic equation and a redox equation?

A net ionic equation can be balanced by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. A redox equation can be balanced by using the half-reaction method, where the number of electrons transferred is equal on both sides of the equation.

5. Can you provide an example of a net ionic equation and a redox equation?

An example of a net ionic equation is the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH):HCl(aq) + NaOH(aq) → H2O(l) + NaCl(aq)The net ionic equation for this reaction is:H+(aq) + OH-(aq) → H2O(l)An example of a redox equation is the reaction between magnesium (Mg) and oxygen (O2):2Mg(s) + O2(g) → 2MgO(s)The redox equation for this reaction is:2Mg(s) → 2Mg2+(aq) + 4e-O2(g) + 4e- → 2O2-(aq)