1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neumann Problem: Use the divergence theorem to show it has a solution

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    From Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction, by Walter A. Strauss; Chapter 1.5, no.4 (b).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Consider the Neumann problem
    (delta) u = f(x,y,z) in D

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial n}=0[/tex] on bdy D."

"(b) Use the divergence theorem and the PDE to show that

[tex]\int\int\int_{D}f(x,y,z)dxdydz = 0[/tex]

is a necessary condition for the Neumann problem to have a solution."

2. Relevant equations
    Divergence Theorem:
    [tex]\int\int\int_{D}\nabla\cdot \vec{f} d\vec{x} = \int\int_{S}f\cdot \vec{n}dS [/tex]

In this case d[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is a vector component I understand to translate to dxdydz, and I understand the rest of the divergence theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wish I could but I don't know where to start; maybe I am rusty, maybe the question is worded strangely; maybe I'm over-thinking it. This is for a pure math PDE class, so even though I get why the condition is necessary from a physics perspective, I can't explain it in a math context, so I'm not sure how or what to apply the divergence theorem on.

If anyone can lend me a small clue to start me off that would be wonderful. I'm going to be checking this constantly so I will certainly respond.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2
    Not to be critical, but check the number you posted. you have posted that you need to do ch 1.2 #4 (b). that is ch 1.5 #4 (b). So either typed it wrong or you are on the wrong problem, b/c I am in a course using the same book. If you are doing the correct problem, then I can say I have no earthly idea where to start.
  4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    DarthBane, you're right, it is Chapter 1.5, I've edited it. Thanks for the heads up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook