• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Checking divergence theorem inside a cylinder and under a paraboloid

Problem Statement
##v = 9y\hat{i} + 9xy\hat{j} -6z\hat{k}##
Relevant Equations
##\int_{V}\nabla \cdot v dV = \int_{S} v \cdot da##
I am checking the divergence theorem for the vector field:

$$v = 9y\hat{i} + 9xy\hat{j} -6z\hat{k}$$

The region is inside the cylinder ##x^2 + y^2 = 4## and between ##z = 0## and ##z = x^2 + y^2##

This is my set up for the integral of the derivative (##\nabla \cdot v##) over the region (volume); using cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} (9rcos\theta - 6)r dr d \theta dz = -96\pi$$

Now the right hand side of the divergence theorem; the value of the function at the boundary(surface; i.e. its flux):

$$\iint_{R} v \cdot n \frac{dxdz}{|n \cdot j|} = 9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz + 9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (-x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz$$

Is this later integral well arranged? ##9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz## is vanishing and I don't get ##-96\pi## in the right hand side.

Thanks

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't understand your surface integral, specifically how you get the integrand ##v \cdot n \frac{dxdz}{|n \cdot j|}##. What area element does this represent? A cylinder has three surface areas, two faces and a side, so there are three outward normals ##\hat n## to consider. Also, I would stick to cylindrical coordinates. That makes the expressions for ##\hat n## and the area elements much easier to write down.

Also, please use vector signs where they belong.

Last edited:
A cylinder has three surface areas, two faces and a side, so there are three outward normals ##\hat n## to consider.
Indeed, I have to compute the upper tap and the base fluxes. I will work out the RHS better.

But
This is my set up for the integral of the derivative (##\nabla \cdot v##) over the region (volume); using cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} (9rcos\theta - 6)r dr d \theta dz = -96\pi$$
This is the LHS (the volume integral). Do you agree with the set up?

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
But

This is the LHS (the volume integral). Do you agree with the set up?
No. Those limits describe a solid cylinder. Your top is a paraboloid. You might find it more natural if your inside integral was the ##dz## integral.

No. Those limits describe a solid cylinder.
Absolutely, what a mistake sorry. I think this time you'll all agree. In Cartesian coordinates one gets:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dx dy$$

But it is nicer to work with cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{r^2} (9rcos \theta - 6)rdz dr d\theta$$

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Absolutely, what a mistake sorry. I think this time you'll all agree. In Cartesian coordinates one gets:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dx dy$$

But it is nicer to work with cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{r^2} (9rcos \theta - 6)rdz dr d\theta$$
Not only nicer, but correct. You have a couple of errors in the rectangular version.

Not only nicer, but correct. You have a couple of errors in the rectangular version.
True:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dy dx$$