1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neurology or Neuroscience? Plus how much is a neuroscientist paid?

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    I can;t decide between trying for neurology or neuroscientist. All though I think neuroscientist would be a more interesting job, I do not like maths or chemistry( I love Bio and Physics). Being a neurologist would not only be satisfying aswell, but it will also pay aLOT! But the time of MBBS and MD is the biggest con in neurology.
    So I wanted to know the average salary earned by a neuroscientist in America( or if someone can, in India as well). The net says its 60,000 to 75,000 dollars, but it does not specify per year or month.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    I have friends who graduated with BS in Neuroscience. All are waiting tables.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A neuroscientist is generally an academic. It's difficult to say exactly, but for ballpark, you're looking at a similar track to most academic physicists. That means finishing a PhD, spending several years doing post docs ($30-40k per year, very limited benefits), and then if you can get it, an academic position. These vary considerably in terms of pay, but the $60-75k figure is an annual one for someone who has moved up through the ranks and likely won't actually be earning that until he or she is about 45 years old.

A neurologist would earn much more money, but to really look at the numbers you need to factor in debt load and residency. Their salaries will look high, but again, it's not like you're earning that when you're 25.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Surely it's per year. If it were per month, that would be 720,000 to 900,000 dollars per year. Few if any university professors make that much. Football or basketball coaches, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook