Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neuron Electrical Model, time constant

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to understand the electrical model of a neuron, and I have 2 questions.

I'm a little confused about the time constant in this electrical model of neuron recording: Udhvu.png

The time constant shown is tau = C*(Rm*Rs)/(Rm+Rs), which implies that the resistors are in parallel. However, to me, it looks like the resistors are in series. I feel like I'm missing something here.

First question: Why is the time constant C*(Rm*Rs)/(Rm+Rs) rather than C*(Rm+Rs)?

To make matters worse, earlier in the lecture this circuit was shown, implying the resistor represented membrane resistance: (ignore the values)
    TZ69g.png

There is a current source here.
    In the first picture, the diagram is using a voltage source. The second diagram is the same thing as a series RC circuit with a voltage source, just using a source transformation (I think). I looked up parallel RC circuits (with a voltage source) and found they had very different properties than series RC circuits. Note: The first picture seems to show a voltage clamp, while the second was just a general model. Might or might not change things.

Second Question: How can I reconcile these two diagrams?

What's a correct neuron model?

Thanks.

Edit: Some of the information I was given could be erroneous; i.e. I don't trust the lecture slides.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    I'm guessing I might have been unclear. So I'll just ask one question:

What's the time constant of this circuit?

iZ31Z.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook