Neutral Point between point charges

• Thread starter Samurai44
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How can I find the nuetral point between two charges or more ? Example:[/B]
(-Q3)................(0.8m)........................(Q2).......(0.3m)......(P).........(0.3m)...........(Q1)
Q1=2nC ,,, Q2=3nC,,, Q3=-4C ,,,
q: Determine in which direction must be Q3 moved to make P neutral? Calculate the distance which P will be moved.

Homework Equations

E=K q / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did i found E of q1 which is 200N/C ,, and q2 = 300N/C
And then stuck....

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
Electric fields are vector quantities, having both magnitude and direction. So what directions do you assign to the two magnitudes that you've calculated? What's their sum?

Electric fields are vector quantities, having both magnitude and direction. So what directions do you assign to the two magnitudes that you've calculated? What's their sum?
Their sum is 100N/C since they are repulsive , No idea about direction XD

gneill
Mentor
Their sum is 100N/C since they are repulsive , No idea about direction XD
See if you can find a picture of the electric field surrounding a positive charge, and for a negative charge (your text or the web should have this). What direction are the arrows representing the fields directed in each case?

See if you can find a picture of the electric field surrounding a positive charge, and for a negative charge (your text or the web should have this). What direction are the arrows representing the fields directed in each case?
No directions are shown !

Attachments

gneill
Mentor
No directions are shown !
That's just the problem statement. You're expected to know the directions to assign to the fields produced by positive and negative charges. See if you can find another image showing the fields surrounding charges. I found several in a few seconds by googling "electric field".

That's just the problem statement. You're expected to know the directions to assign to the fields produced by positive and negative charges. See if you can find another image showing the fields surrounding charges. I found several in a few seconds by googling "electric field".
ahh i thought you were meaning from the question itself ... XD
definitely for positive its outwards , while negative its inwards

gneill
Mentor
ahh i thought you were meaning from the question itself ... XD
definitely for positive its outwards , while negative its inwards
Okay! So now you can assign a direction to the sum of the fields that you calculated earlier, right?

Okay! So now you can assign a direction to the sum of the fields that you calculated earlier, right?
well , this is the point im not getting and need help
What i know is if there's repulsion we subtract , but if there's attraction we add

gneill
Mentor
At point P sketch in the arrows representing the field direction from the two positive charges (along the line that all the charges lie). Suppose you choose the direction to the right to be the +x-axis direction. Now, those arrows (vectors) have the magnitudes that you calculated previously. What's the resultant of adding them?

At point P sketch in the arrows representing the field direction from the two positive charges (along the line that all the charges lie). Suppose you choose the direction to the right to be the +x-axis direction. Now, those arrows (vectors) have the magnitudes that you calculated previously. What's the resultant of adding them?
Respecting to P , the direction to right is positive , so E2 - E1 - E3 = 0 ,,, that means E3=E2-E1 which results into 100N/C ...
Now I got the point ! .. So whenever I have two or more charges in a straight line i should make the same concept ?
Thanks a lot

gneill
Mentor
Respecting to P , the direction to right is positive , so E2 - E1 - E3 = 0 ,,, that means E3=E2-E1 which results into 100N/C ...
Now I got the point ! .. So whenever I have two or more charges in a straight line i should make the same concept ?
Thanks a lot
Yes, that's the idea. You set up coordinate axes and determine both the magnitude and directions of the fields due to each charge before you start adding or subtracting them as the situation warrants. You will find that the same concept applies even if the charges are not along a straight line, in which case you'll deal will all the components of the vectors (time to review your trigonometry!).

Yes, that's the idea. You set up coordinate axes and determine both the magnitude and directions of the fields due to each charge before you start adding or subtracting them as the situation warrants. You will find that the same concept applies even if the charges are not along a straight line, in which case you'll deal will all the components of the vectors (time to review your trigonometry!).
Alright , Thanks A Lot ! :D