New 4 stroke engine efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanical efficiency of a new 4 stroke engine. The engine has two top pistons that function as valves and the main piston does not sweep the full volume. The conversation covers the purpose of the extra volume, the design of the engine, and the potential for increased efficiency. The conversation also mentions the use of differential modes and a changeable compression ratio, as well as advantages of the engine such as lower inertia and cost-effective design. The conversation also mentions different efficiency numbers for steam and gas turbines and references to books and illustrations of the engine design.
Feliks
The new issue of the mechanical efficiency of the new 4 stroke engine.What will have the efficiency of the engine, which increases its volume swept by two times slower rotating crankshaft- piston systems ??
Two times slower or inertia four times smaller.

Regards Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those two top pistons seem to be performing the function of the valves in a normal engine. What is the purpose of the 'extra' volume which the main piston doesn't sweep? Wouldn't conventional valves do a better job because they can be operated by a cam which can profile the timing much more flexibly?

Since we are the forum about engineering, it presents my project without differential modes. Maybe it to work completely without oil lubrication, bearings must have just closed lubrication grease.

Regards Andrew:biggrin:

Sorry but I don't see the relevance of that post. Is it an internal combustion engine?

sophiecentaur said:
Sorry but I don't see the relevance of that post. Is it an internal combustion engine?

No, it's above my new differential.

But I still have a new engine, which is, for example, 16 "cylinder" and only one rod and a shaft crank.

Here, too, inertia is much less than in the traditional engine .Here, too, inertia is much less than in the traditional engine

Regards Andrew

I just love the imagination you have!

I have to say that I see more potential in the first engine than your second.

The first one, I see it as a valveless 3-cyl engine. You consider the 2 top pistons as valves, but there not. They are regular pistons that will extract power just like the "master piston". The big advantage of your design is that you have removed a big piece of the typical engine: the cylinder head. The biggest disadvantage seems to be the shape of you combustion chamber which seems to have a surface-to-volume ratio too large. Having the 2 "valve" pistons too large will hurt the combustion (Too much surface cools the fuel mixture too fast, leaving an incomplete combustion). Maybe having 2 spark plugs would be better too (You have 3 cylinder after all!).

As for the second one, the only advantage over traditional engine would be that you are using both side of the piston to extract power. So you are probably right by saying that it will have less inertia for the same amount of power. But the big disadvantage is the same one as any rotary piston engine: sealing the combustion chamber. Those long and straight seals, plus the ones you will need to seal the edges are difficult to make such that exhaust gases, fuel mixture and lubricant are separated efficiently.

Definitively, keep working on the first design.

jack action said:
I just love the imagination you have!

I have to say that I see more potential in the first engine than your second.

Definitively, keep working on the first design.

Thanks, will attempt to maintain your interest

Because it draws more than speak English a little bit the next drawing.
Version of the timing piston-called 'Twin Feliks" . :rolleyes:

Best Reegards Andrew

Not enough space on the drawings.

Best regrds Andrew

You've posted these somewhere before, haven't you? (either that or I'm having a major case of deja vu). F1technical iirc.

xxChrisxx said:
You've posted these somewhere before, haven't you? (either that or I'm having a major case of deja vu). F1technical iirc.

O yes indeed, on the F1 was a little discussion.
But here is a forum Physics and proposing discussions on efficiency.
So how is a chart idykatorowy P-V to the mass inertia of the engine.
Because certainly the sum of these two dependencies gives a more true knowledge of the efficiency of the engine. As you can see some examples, using completely different mass inertia can receive an equal volume of a working engine .

And called "Stephenson second " steam engine :rolleyes:

Regards Andrew

helicopter.gif

rotor1.jpg

rotor2.jpg

all are diesel engines, .

Regards Andrew:tongue:

Attachments

• helicopter.gif
    helicopter.gif
    395.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • helicopter.gif
    helicopter.gif
    395.7 KB · Views: 548
However, you may return to discussions about new4stroke.

suwy.jpg

Daniel , CH physicist elegant describe efficiency:

------------------- Mass - RPM - inertial forces----intake cm^3--- intake/inertia
1 main piston --- 2 ------ 2 ---- 2 * 2^2 =8 ------- 600 ------ 75
2 valve pistons - 2*1 ---- 1 --- 2 * 1 * 1^2= 2 --- 360 ----- 180

===> intake / inertia is better for valve piston than main piston.
Of course in sensible borders .

Engine new 4 stroke has changeable compressio ratio.
It's up to the angle of coupling with the main piston .

Graph some varations:
compression%20ratio%20all.gif

Minimum combustion chamber volume, inside is not exactly 360 degrees, only a few degrees later

degmin.gif

These geometric changes should be reflected in the new chart, the indicator P-V

Regards Andrew:smile:

Attachments

• suwy.jpg
    suwy.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 506
Additional adwantages of the engine, which should take account of the calculation of the efficiency:

And now about the most important advantage of my engine
This structure how, higher I demonstrated the graph, has the different degree of compress ratio on placing angles between two crankshafts .
The changeable compression ratio was applied in a few advanced different structures of special engines .
He has most often been carried out with the help special Biceri pistons.

biceri.jpg

and these are virtues from using it :

AVCR%201100.JPG

Ge%20variable.jpg

In my structure exceptionally it is easy to carry out such a changeable compression ratio. He is carrying out sie it behind the help very of straightforward device for the picture. And most important: this device is changing the compression ratio in all top hats of the given engine(even for example 16 cylinders).
It is very much cheap way, and simultaneous in the reliable way is carrying out all described higher virtues of the changeable compression ratio.

Some others:http://www.fs.isy.liu.se/Lab/SVC/"

belt.jpg

efficrpm.jpg

Andrew:smile:

Where did you get your efficiency numbers from? Your steam turbine number looks a little low and your gas turbine numbers are about half what is typical.

russ_watters said:
Where did you get your efficiency numbers from? Your steam turbine number looks a little low and your gas turbine numbers are about half what is typical.

This is also the book Profi

efficiency.jpg

Well, who would have thought that Newcomen was so close to an adequate solution :rolleyes:

[URL]http://www.new4stroke.com/images/Newcomen.gif[/URL]

[URL]http://www.new4stroke.com/images/Halfrotate1.gif[/URL]

Regards Andrew :biggrin:

Feliks said:
Well, who would have thought that Newcomen was so close to an adequate solution :rolleyes:

I also very close to the Technology
handcar1.jpg

I think that this technology is very effective. Can you imagine that by doing the same movement up and down through the traditional piston-connecting rod-crankshaft to get the same ease the movement of this vehicle?
I think that it would then be much harder work. And these four , the looks on it, they not liked to work more than need...

Can you feel it ??

However and that will had such a good humor, just take a timber and a little grease lubricated.:rolleyes:

Do not need any oil ! :biggrin:

Seal or Teflon or lubricated with diesel fuel.

OIl = diesel fuel in this picture

image014.jpg

Feliks said:
However, you may return to discussions about new4stroke.

suwy.jpg

Daniel , CH physicist elegant describe efficiency:

------------------- Mass - RPM - inertial forces----intake cm^3--- intake/inertia
1 main piston --- 2 ------ 2 ---- 2 * 2^2 =8 ------- 600 ------ 75
2 valve pistons - 2*1 ---- 1 --- 2 * 1 * 1^2= 2 --- 360 ----- 180

===> intake / inertia is better for valve piston than main piston.
Of course in sensible borders .

Engine new 4 stroke has changeable compressio ratio.
It's up to the angle of coupling with the main piston .

These geometric changes should be reflected in the new chart, the indicator P-V

Well, with this efficiency, it is not such a simple thing ...

Simple, traditional P-V chart did not quite fit here ...
Why? . Well, I figure capacity in cylinders is asymmetrical ...

Vsum.gif

I did not inherit new4stroke flat engine failures.

I just do not have pistons enter the combustion chamber to produce a large compression ratio , and you can build the world's first diesel engine flat ...

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to draw the diagram even in 3D, so I present only a very schematic drawing of this idea.

dolnozaworowy1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidevalve"

I have followed this topic for a while.
As you can see on the chart, the engine has asymetrical jumping-volume V.

I assume, because of that it will be totally new thermodynamic circulation!

Regards

1. How does a 4 stroke engine work?

A 4 stroke engine works by completing four different processes: intake, compression, power, and exhaust. During the intake stroke, the piston moves downward, drawing a mixture of air and fuel into the combustion chamber. The compression stroke then compresses the mixture, making it more combustible. In the power stroke, the spark plug ignites the mixture, causing an explosion that pushes the piston downward. Finally, the exhaust stroke expels the leftover gases from the combustion process.

2. What are the advantages of a 4 stroke engine compared to a 2 stroke engine?

There are several advantages of a 4 stroke engine over a 2 stroke engine. First, 4 stroke engines are more fuel-efficient because they complete one power stroke for every two revolutions of the crankshaft, while 2 stroke engines only complete one power stroke per revolution. Additionally, 4 stroke engines produce less pollution and are quieter than 2 stroke engines. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

3. How does a new 4 stroke engine improve efficiency?

The new 4 stroke engine design utilizes advanced technologies and materials to improve efficiency. These include direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, and lightweight materials such as aluminum and composites. These improvements result in better fuel combustion, reduced friction, and lighter overall engine weight, resulting in increased efficiency and performance.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of implementing a new 4 stroke engine?

One potential drawback of implementing a new 4 stroke engine is the cost. The advanced technologies and materials used in these engines can make them more expensive to produce. Additionally, the development and production of these engines may also have a higher environmental impact due to the use of non-renewable resources. There may also be challenges in retrofitting existing vehicles or equipment with the new engine design.

5. Are there any future developments in 4 stroke engine efficiency?

Yes, there are ongoing developments in 4 stroke engine efficiency. Some manufacturers are working on hybrid versions of 4 stroke engines, combining them with electric motors to further improve fuel efficiency. Others are exploring the use of alternative fuels such as hydrogen and biofuels in 4 stroke engines. Additionally, advancements in computer technology and engine management systems are continually being made to optimize engine performance and efficiency.