Can Negative Buoyancy Keep a Car Underwater?

• Thread starter EB3 Effects
  • Start date
In summary, negative buoyancy can indeed keep a car underwater. This is because negative buoyancy refers to an object's ability to sink in a fluid due to its weight being greater than the amount of upward force exerted by the fluid. In the case of a car, if it is heavy enough, it will sink and remain underwater until it is either lifted out or its weight is reduced. Factors such as the car's weight, shape, and amount of air trapped inside can affect its negative buoyancy and determine how long it can stay submerged. However, it is important to note that attempting to keep a car underwater for an extended period of time can be dangerous and should not be attempted without proper precautions and expertise.
EB3 Effects
Hello all,
My name is Everett, I am a special effects coordinator and found this site while searching for information on negative bouyancy equations in order to keep an airtight car underwater.

Physics news on Phys.org
EB3 Effects said:
Hello all,
My name is Everett, I am a special effects coordinator and found this site while searching for information on negative bouyancy equations in order to keep an airtight car underwater.
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Back