New Pfizer vaccine name, "Comirnaty"

• COVID
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary: Interestingly, the name has been changed from Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to Comirnaty (pronounced koe-mir’-na-tee), apparently in an effort to evoke the word ‘community’. The vaccine is administered in two doses, three weeks apart, just like Pfizer doses have been all along. There’s been some backlash on social media, with some people calling the name ‘overthought’ and ‘boring’, but in my opinion, it’s a sensible and understated update that suits the product well.
berkeman
Mentor
Well, now that the Pfizer vaccine has full FDA approval, they have decided to give it a new name, "Comirnaty". And believe it or not, they actually have reasons for putting that name together...

https://www.kron4.com/trending/comirnaty-whats-the-story-behind-the-new-pfizer-vaccine-name/

Comirnaty, who? It’s the same exact mRNA vaccine Pfizer has producing through the emergency use authorization, but now it’s being marketed under the new name. Comirnaty is administered in two doses, three weeks apart, just like Pfizer doses have been all along.

The vaccine name is pronounced koe-mir’-na-tee. It doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, but neither did “Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine,” which is what it was technically called before.

The name was developed by Brand Institute in conjunction with BioNTech and Pfizer, according to Fierce Pharma.

“The name is coined from COVID-19 immunity, and then embeds the mRNA in the middle, which is the platform technology, and as a whole the name is meant to evoke the word community,” Scott Piergrossi, Brand Institute president of operations and communications, told the site.

The rebranding didn’t go unnoticed – nor unpunished – on social media.

:-p
One example of the push-back:

Covid-19 immunity + mRNA + community = Comirnaty

The person(s) who came up with this name should never be allowed to name anything ever again. They shouldn't even be allowed to name their pets.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, hutchphd, russ_watters and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Haters going to hate, while it is definitely overthought it doesn't look that bad.

Or rather: I saw much worse :oldbiggrin:

Likes Evo and BillTre
I initially read "Comirnaty" "Cominarty", which would sound snarky.

Why not Communitavy, or Communitivy, or does that look too close to Communism?

I believe they wanted RNA in the name (similar to the name of the company Moderna).

• Informative
Likes BillTre, Astronuc and berkeman
Astronuc said:
I initially read "Comirnaty" "Cominarty", which would sound snarky.

Why not Communitavy, or Communitivy, or does that look too close to Communism?
Does "Comirnaty" mean "get vaccinated, comrade" in Russian?

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Astronuc and berkeman
Ygggdrasil said:
I believe they wanted RNA in the name (similar to the name of the company Moderna).
Yes but Moderna is clever, as the active ingredient in the vaccine is modRNA. Comirnaty subtly implies that the active ingredient is miRNA, which it isn't.
berkeman said:
They shouldn't even be allowed to name their pets.
RNAin Tin tin

• Haha
Likes atyy and hutchphd
It is way better than the runner up: COVIDy-McCOVIDface.

I wonder what this bit of brilliance cost Pfizer. Makes me a proud MODERNA recipient

• Haha
Likes TeethWhitener, russ_watters, vela and 3 others
other runner-ups were covfefe and corbomite

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, vela, Astronuc and 3 others
Sticking with Pfizer would have been better.

Likes Tom.G
Supercovidfragilisticvaxpialidocious

• Haha
Likes PeroK and BillTre
As someone who used to work for a large pharmaceutical company specializing in vaccines, this is really nothing more than branding, similar to the work conducted by the marketing department.

It's the same Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine we've all grown to love (or at least appreciate, if you're not a rabid anti-vaxxer), and which many of us no doubt have already received (including myself).

Likes Astronuc

1. What is the meaning behind the name "Comirnaty"?

The name "Comirnaty" is a combination of the words "COVID-19", "mRNA", "community", and "immunity". It represents the purpose of the vaccine, which is to provide immunity to the community against COVID-19 through the use of mRNA technology.

2. How is the Comirnaty vaccine different from other COVID-19 vaccines?

The Comirnaty vaccine is a mRNA vaccine, which means it uses a small piece of the virus's genetic material (mRNA) to teach the body's cells how to make a harmless protein that triggers an immune response. This is different from traditional vaccines that use weakened or inactivated versions of the virus.

3. What are the reported side effects of the Comirnaty vaccine?

The most commonly reported side effects of the Comirnaty vaccine include pain, redness, and swelling at the injection site, as well as fatigue, headache, muscle and joint pain, and fever. These side effects are typically mild and resolve within a few days.

4. Who is eligible to receive the Comirnaty vaccine?

The Comirnaty vaccine is currently approved for individuals 12 years and older. However, eligibility may vary depending on the country or region's guidelines. It is important to check with your local health authorities for the most up-to-date information on eligibility.

5. How effective is the Comirnaty vaccine in preventing COVID-19?

The Comirnaty vaccine has shown to be 95% effective in preventing COVID-19 in clinical trials. This means that out of 100 people who receive the vaccine, only 5 may still get COVID-19. It is important to note that the vaccine's effectiveness may vary depending on an individual's age, health, and other factors.