1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian gravity and differential equations

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    Hello,

So i know that the gravitational acceleration experienced by a body is -GM/||d||^2 * dhat, where dhat is the current displacement unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1. the magnitude of a vector is equal to to the square root of the sum of its squared components. This will be a 2d case. Assuming that some constant times the x and y displacement components will result in a displacement vector with a magnitude of 1, we get c^2(x^2+y^2) = sqrt(1) = 1, so c = 1/(x^2+y^2)^0.5, so our displacement unit vectors x component is x/(x^2+y^2)^0.5, and its y component is y/(x^2+y^2)^0.5. The magnitude of our displacement ||d|| is (x^2+y^2)^0.5, so ||d||^2 = x^2+y^2, so multiplying -gm/||d||^2 by the displacement unit vector I get an x component of -xgm/(x^2+y^2)^1.5, and a y component of -ygm/(x^2+y^2)^1.5

So thats the acceleration vector in cartesian coordinates. Breaking them down into two coupled non linear second order differential equations i get...
    y" = -gmy/(y^2+x^2)^1.5
    x" = -gmx/(y^2+x^2)^1.5

I'm well aware that we can find solutions in spherical coordinates that give us radius as a function of theta for the first formula (newtonian gravity), but can we find solutions giving us radius as a function of time in spherical coordinates? Or x and y displacement as a function of time in cartesian coordinates using the above coupled differential equations? I know that we can do so for a one dimensional case, by finding velocity as a function of distance and then taking advantage of the implicit solution that Time = the integral of (1/velocity(distance)) dv, but can it be done in two dimensions or more? or must a time independent solution suffice (radius(theta) via the well known conic solutions in spherical coordinates).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is possible to write down integrals that give the position as function of time, but I'm not aware of closed solutions for those integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook