1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian mechanics, incline, acceleration FUN

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    "Two boxes, m1=1.0 kg witha coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.10 amd m2=2.0 kg with a coefficient of 0.20, are placed on a plane inclined at 30 degrees. (a) What acceleration does each box experience? (b) If a taut string is connecting the boxes with m2 farther down the slope, what is the acceleration of each box?"

So, I have part (a) (I believe!):
    x direction: m1: m1gsin30 -Ffr=m1a1 (same for m2, but sub m2 for m1)
    y direction: Fn = m1gsin30

For m1, migsin30=(muk)Fn = m1a1, you place in the appropriate values from the question and solve for a1= 4.1 m/s2
    You go through the similar steps for m2 and solve for a2= 3.2 m/s2

But I'm a little confused on how exactly to explain part (b):
    I think that the accelerations would be the same, but we were taught that whenever boxes are connected by a taut string, the acceleration for the boxes is the same, and it is treated as a system. But, since m1 is in back and has a faster acceleration, wouldn't it go faster so that the cord is no longer taut and the boxes are essentially not connected? Or am I thinking about it wrong and it should be treated as a system?
    thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

If you view the two masses as a system the tension in the string cancels out since they are the same magnitude but in opposite directions and therefore constitute an internal force.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?