1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Newtonian mechanics of a metal slab

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 90 kg metal slab is pulled across the ground by a tractor. The coefficient of friction between the slab and the ground is µ = 0.65. If the force of the tractor on the slab is 600 N and is directed at 35° from the horizontal, what is the acceleration of the slab?

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = ma
    Fk = u * Fn
    where Fk = friction force and Fn = normal force and u = coefficient of friction

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I thought there were four forces acting on the metal slab: Fn, the normal force, Fg, gravity, F, the 600 N force from the tractor, and Fk, the friction force.

Fnet,y = FN + F sin theta - mg - Fk sin thetaFk = ma
    Fnet,x = F cos theta - Fk cos thetaFk = ma

theta = 35 degrees, measured from positive direction of the x axis
    thetaFk = 215 degrees, measured from positive direction of the x axis

Only now that I've arranged everything I can't figure out how to isolate either Fk or Fn so I can solve the thing. I tried:

rearrange equations so:
    Fky = Fk sin thetaFk = -ma + Fn + F sin theta - Fg
    Fkx = Fk cos thetaFk = -ma + F cos theta

Then, by trig, tan thetaFk = Fky/Fkx, so
    tan thetaFk = (-ma + Fn + F sin theta - Fg) / (-ma + F cos theta)

but acceleration doesn't cancel out completely to give Fn so I'm stumped. Am I heading in the completely wrong direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no y component to the friction force (assuming level ground)...and in the x direction, ther is no angle involved with the friction force (theta = 0) ...and what's the acceleration in the y direction?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook