Newtonian space in modern physics

In summary, The concept of bending space has been clarified to be an intrinsic bending or curvature in modern physics. The idea of external space from Newtonian physics has been abandoned in favor of Relativity, but it can still be useful in certain situations, such as building a bridge.
thinkandmull
I asked one time on this forum about bending space. If I take a paperback book and understand it as space instead of matter, and then bend it, it seems that the bent space moves into other space and that there is space from which it came. Now the idea didn't make any sense to me. Someone clarified for me that in modern physics bending space is an "intrinsic bending" or "curvature". That made a lot of sense to me. However, does modern science use the Newtonian idea of external space? Or has that idea been left into history? Thanks. The history of physics is very interesting for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Newtonian concepts of absolute space and time have been abandoned in favour of Relativity. That doesn't mean that Newtonian concepts are not useful in certain circumstances, they can still be used for many calculations within their domain of applicability.

Newtonian concepts still work fine for projects such as say building a bridge.
Using relativity to do something like that would result in a lot of unnecessary calculating which would make no difference to the bridge.

1. What is Newtonian space?

Newtonian space refers to the concept of physical space as described by Sir Isaac Newton in his laws of motion and gravitation. It is a three-dimensional, absolute and fixed space in which all objects exist.

2. How does Newtonian space differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Unlike Newtonian space, Einstein's theory of relativity describes space as a dynamic, four-dimensional entity that can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. It also proposes that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. Is Newtonian space still relevant in modern physics?

While Newtonian space is not the most accurate description of space in modern physics, it is still used in many practical applications, such as engineering and space travel. It serves as a good approximation for objects moving at low speeds and in weak gravitational fields.

4. How does quantum mechanics relate to Newtonian space?

Quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of subatomic particles, does not adhere to the principles of Newtonian space. In quantum mechanics, space is described as a probability distribution rather than a fixed entity, and the laws of physics are probabilistic rather than deterministic.

5. Are there any limitations to Newtonian space?

Yes, Newtonian space has several limitations. It cannot accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or in strong gravitational fields. It also does not account for the effects of quantum mechanics and does not provide a complete understanding of the nature of space and time.