Is Newton's Concept of Space Still Relevant in Modern Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
thinkandmull
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I've been wondering if space as understood by Newton, as an actual thing that contains matter, is relevant to modern physics. Has Newton's idea been disregarded? Is Aristotle's view that there is no space-vacuum now accepted? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think without better defined terms, your question is unanswerable and we'll just go around and around and around in circles. For example, what is an "actual thing" and how does it differ from a plain old "thing"?
 
Well think about it do you think space is full of matter or do you think it is a vacuum? then you have answered your own question =) Space is a vacuum but filled with the Higgs field and allot of em radiation. Along with solar winds and all the matter. Also even if Newton was wrong NASA still use his equations to work out gravitational forces and it works great so he did something right.
 
I believe what the OP is talking about is that certain philosophers think of space as being "separate" from matter and energy. So in a completely empty universe, space would still exist. On the other hand, some believe that space is only a relationship between objects, so in a completely empty universe there would be no space (and probably no universe either).

Unfortunately there's no way to know either way, so this isn't a science question but a philosophical one. I'm going to lock the thread. Thinkandmull, if you meant something else, something which science can possibly observe, then please contact me and I'll re-open the thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman