Newton's Divided Difference Question

• Thread starter flyingheadlice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation is about a problem from the book section about Newton's Divided Differences. The problem involves defining a polynomial and using it to find a specific value. The attempt at a solution involves using a4x^4 + a3x^3 + a2x^2 + a1x + a0 = Pn(x) and plugging in given values to find some coefficients, but the solution is not complete. The person is unsure if they need more information to find the desired value.
flyingheadlice
This is a problem from the book section about Newton's Divided Differences, but I don't see how it really connects to the chapter other than that you draw out the triangle diagram.

Homework Statement

Define $P(x) = P(x+1)-P(x), where P is an unknown 4th degree polynomial
and that
$^2P(x) = $($P(x)) = $(P(x+1)-P(x)) = $P(x+1) - $P(x) = P(x+2) -2(P(x+1) +P(x))

Given $^2 P(0) = 0, $^3 P(0) = 6, $^4 P(0) = 24

Find $^2 P(10)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a4x^4 + a3x^3 + a2x^2 + a1x +a0 = Pn(x) and plugging in the givens I got that:
a4 = 1, a3 = -5, a2 = -8, but I wasn't able to get a1 and a0 because they cancel out each time. I am not sure if I need a1 and a0 to find $^2 P(10), or if there is another way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
30 views and no replies? Am I posting this topic incorrectly?

What is Newton's Divided Difference Question?

Newton's Divided Difference Question is a mathematical concept that is used to approximate the values of a function at different points using polynomial interpolation. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who first developed this method in the 17th century.

What is the formula for calculating Newton's Divided Differences?

The formula for calculating Newton's Divided Differences is Δnf(x0, x1, ..., xn) = Δn-1f(x1, ..., xn) - Δn-1f(x0, ..., xn-1), where Δ denotes the difference operator.

How is Newton's Divided Difference Question used in real-life applications?

Newton's Divided Difference Question is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to approximate values of functions at specific points. It is also used in numerical analysis and computer science to solve complex mathematical problems.

What are the advantages of using Newton's Divided Difference Question?

One of the main advantages of using Newton's Divided Difference Question is that it provides accurate results for interpolating functions. It also allows for easy computation and can handle a large number of data points.

What are the limitations of Newton's Divided Difference Question?

One of the limitations of Newton's Divided Difference Question is that it can only be used to approximate values at a specific set of points, and the accuracy of the results can vary depending on the number of data points used. It also becomes more complex when dealing with higher-order derivatives.