Newtons Law of Motion/Free Falling objct

In summary, a 92kg fireman slides down a pole from a height of 3.2m to the ground floor with a final speed of 4.9m/s. The fireman's average force exerted by the pole can be found by using the equations y=0.5(Voy+Vy)t and F=may+mg, with a resulting force of 534.5N. However, the method used may not be entirely accurate and further consideration should be taken into account for all forces and quantities involved.
baqi
Hi I have a problem I need someone to check over and see if I have it right!

Thank you for trying in advance

Responding to an alarm, a 92kg fireman slides down a pole to the ground floor, 3.2m below. The fireman starts at rest and lands with a speed of 4.9 m/s. Find the average force exerted on the fireman by the pole.

m=92 Kg, d=3.2m, Vf= 4m/s
I found time first: (Can I do that?)
y-vector
y=0.5 (Voy+Vy)t
3.2m =0.5 (0+4m/s)t
t=1.6s

y=yo+Voyt+0.5ayt^2
ay=2(y-yo) / t^2
ay = (2)(0-3.2m) / 1.6s
ay=-4m/s^2

Sum of Fy= F-mg
F-mg=ma
F= may+mg = m(ay+g)
F = (92kg)(-4m/s^2+9.81m/s^2)
F= 534.5N
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare the quantities given in the problem to the quantities inserted into the formulas. And watch for exponents.

thanks

I think how I solved the above question is wrong because I found time and then solved for accerlation instead of just finding accerlation from the information given and then account for all the forces...

And for the free falling object I forgot what I was going to ask...

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone. In this state, the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity, causing the object to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

How does air resistance affect free falling objects?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a falling object. As an object falls, it experiences an increasing amount of air resistance, which eventually balances out the force of gravity and causes the object to reach a terminal velocity, where its acceleration is zero. This is why objects of different shapes and sizes will fall at the same rate in a vacuum, but not in air.