Newtons Laws - Coefficient of Friction problem

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with finding the coefficient of friction using kinematics equations. The expert suggests using the known acceleration and angle to find the difference between the calculated and actual acceleration without friction. The expert then advises using a free-body diagram and trigonometry to find the forces acting on the block.
ThatStormy

Homework Statement

330vazd.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration using kinematics equations.
I don't know how to find the coefficient of friction though.
I need help answering pard b c and d
If you could give me the equations and explain.
Just knowing how to do this one question will help me complete the rest of my homework!
Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a known acceleration and a known angle, you can find the difference between the calculated acceleration and the acceleration that would occur if there was no friction between the surfaces. That should help with all the remaining portions.

WJSwanson said:
Since you have a known acceleration and a known angle, you can find the difference between the calculated acceleration and the acceleration that would occur if there was no friction between the surfaces. That should help with all the remaining portions.

what equation would i use then?

So confused x.x

ThatStormy said:
what equation would i use then?

If you draw a free-body diagram of the block on the ramp and use some trigonometry, you can figure out the forces that are acting on it. Try to find the components of the force due to gravity, and the normal force.

1. What are Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion.

2. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is typically denoted by the symbol "μ".

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, or by measuring the slope of a graph that plots frictional force against normal force.

4. How do Newton's Laws apply to coefficient of friction problems?

Newton's Laws can be used to analyze coefficient of friction problems by considering the forces acting on an object and applying the equations of motion to determine the object's acceleration and velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Newton's Laws and the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is an important factor in many real-world situations, such as designing car tires for optimal traction, calculating the braking distance of a vehicle, and determining the forces needed for objects to slide or roll on different surfaces.