1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons laws, dynamics questions

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) A 1000-kg Car is parked on a 10 degree slope. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the car

2) A 2000-kg car travelling at an initial speed of 10m/s skids to a stop with a constant acceleration. The coefficient of friction between the tired and the road is 0.4. determine the length of the skid marks

2. Relevant equations
    Newtons 2nd law f=ma

(f_s) = static friction
    f_k= kinetic friction
    w= weight
    n= normal force

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part (1) . The free body diagram I drew was on a slant to show that the normal force is perpendicular to the slanted road so it is in the positive y direction, the force of static friction is to the negative x axis, and the weight force is downwards (with two components x and y)

F_x = -f_s + wsin∅ = 0
    F_y= n-wcos∅=0

Essentially, I just solved the x component equation, given that wsin∅ is 9800sin10.

This was then equal to the static friction force.

This feels wrong, it was too simple, but maybe I could just be overthinking/underthinking.

Is this correct?

2)The normal force is pointing up in the positive y axis, the weight force is pointing down, and the kinetic friction force is poiting to the negative x axis(left) for the free body diagram.

Equations:

F_x= -f_k=ma_x
    F_y= n-w=0

I esentially solved for the normal force in the y direction, then plugged that into f_k=μkn , to solve for the kinetic friction force. after solving the friction, I plugged that into F_x and determined the acceleration (which is negative).

After knowing the acceleration, initial and final velocities I used the equation

v_f^2=v_i^2+2aΔx

Solved for x, and think i found the answer.

Is this right as well? (the mah is entirely tough to type out so I simply gave my steps for solving)

Thanks so much

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The method seems ok on both of those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook