Newton's Laws: Simple Constant Force Problem

In summary, when a car weighing 12000.0 N is moving at a speed of 30.0 km/hr and is brought to a stop in 4.1 s, the magnitude of the force that stops it is 2.49 X 10^3 N. The car moves a distance of 17.1 m during this time. To solve for the force, the equations a = (v - v0) / t and F = ma are used, with the weight converted to kilograms using the acceleration due to gravity.
anastasiaw
A car that weighs 12000.0 N is initially moving at a speed of 30.0 km/hr when the brakes are applied and the car is brought to a stop in 4.1 s. Find the magnitude of the force that stops the car, assuming it is constant.

Figured this one out, got: v0 = 8.33 m/s, a = -2.03 m/s^2, F = 2.49 X 10^3 N

What distance does the car move during this time?

This is the one I'm having trouble with.
Using: x(t) = x0 +v0*t + 1/2*a*t^2 and x0 = 0
x(t) = 0 + 8.33(4.6) + 1/2(-2.03)(4.6^2)
x(t) = 16.83 m

Tells me I am wrong. I don't know what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
"brought to a stop in 4.1 s"

x(4.6) = 0 + 8.33(4.6) + 1/2(-2.03)(4.6^2)

Maybe that's the problem XD

Sorry, is the time 4.6 s or 4.1 s?

EDIT: Got beat. LOL.

Thanks... :)

17.1 m is the answer.

How did you solve the first part? i have the same problem with different numbers and am having trouble with it.
Thanks

The formula I used to calculate acceleration was:

a = (v - v0) / t

a is acceleration,
v is final velocity (should be 0 m/s),
v0 is initial velocity, which you must convert to m/s,
t is the time it takes to stop.

You can then use the very important equation

F = ma

to calculate the magnitude of the force that stops the car.

You will need to convert the weight given in Newtons to kilograms. You can do this using the same equation as above, with the acceleration in this equation as the acceleration due to gravity.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object will stay in its current state of motion unless a force acts on it.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

4. How do Newton's laws apply to a simple constant force problem?

In a simple constant force problem, Newton's laws can be used to determine the resulting acceleration and motion of an object. The first law helps us understand that the object will continue moving in its current state until acted upon by a force. The second law allows us to calculate the resulting acceleration based on the applied force and the object's mass.

5. Can Newton's laws be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to a wide range of real-world scenarios, from the motion of planets and satellites to the movement of everyday objects. These laws are fundamental principles of physics and are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion.