1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Principia and Euclid's Elements

1. Sep 8, 2017 #1

JTC

I have always wanted to read the textbooks in the thread title.

But their styld is so old.

Does someone know of any "middle of the road" textbooks?

By that, I mean: books that basically teach what these two men wrote, but, perhaps with updated language, or some really-not-essential stuff removed.

I am not as much interested in learning about topics from the books (well, I suppose I sort of am) -- but more like, learning how these men thought (but with occassional and precise rewording of some basic things).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2017 #2
  4. Sep 8, 2017 #3

ibkev

Gold Member

5. Sep 8, 2017 #4

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

A free 21st century version of Euclid (recommended by Stillwell in Four Pillars of Geometry) is an online compilation from David Joyce available here:

https://mathcs.clarku.edu/~DJoyce/java/elements/elements.html

- - -
    if you really want to dive into original Euclid, Stillwell would recommend David Heath's English translation -- dated 1925 and quite long (all of Elements plus a lot of commentary from Heath).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted