Newton's second law, how to write it?

In summary, Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The formula for this law is F = ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration. It can be written as "The acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass." This law can be applied to both linear and rotational motion, with the equation τ = Iα for rotational motion. The units for force, mass, and acceleration are Newtons (N), kilograms (kg), and meters per second squared (m/s^2) respectively. For rotational motion, torque is
LeighV
Very stupid question, but I am writing out my problem and need this formula;
am8mkp.jpg

in typed symbols, so I can copy and paste it into my document. Like √

Hope that makes sense...
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
\Sigma F=ma
Better - \sum F = ma

This renders as $$\sum F = ma$$
If you use Sigma, the uppercase Greek letter, it renders in the same size as whatever follow it, like so:
$$\Sigma F = ma$$

Perfect thank you!

The formula for Newton's second law is F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This can be expressed as √(F=ma). I hope this helps with your problem!

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the larger the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be.

2. What is the formula for Newton's second law?

The formula for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration.

3. How do you write Newton's second law in words?

In words, Newton's second law can be written as "The acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass."

4. Can Newton's second law be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In rotational motion, the equation is τ = Iα, where τ represents the torque, I represents the moment of inertia, and α represents the angular acceleration.

5. What are the units for the variables in Newton's second law?

The units for force in Newton's second law are Newtons (N), mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). For rotational motion, torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm), and moment of inertia is measured in kilogram-meters squared (kg-m^2).