Newton's second law of motion -- Why is it F=m*a and not F=m+a?

In summary, Newton's first law says that a material particle remains at rest or in rectilinear uniform motion, in an inertial reference frame, until a force changes this state, causing an acceleration.
akerkarprashant
TL;DR Summary
F=m*a equation
Why F=m*a i.e product or multiplication and not F=m+a? i.e addition or summation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
akerkarprashant said:
Summary:: F=m*a equation

Why F=m*a i.e product and not F=m+a? i.e addition?
Because Newton's first law says that ##a = 0##, when ##F = 0##.

Likes vanhees71 and akerkarprashant
Primarily, because F=m+a doesn't predict what we empirically measure.

Mathematically, m and a are different units, one each a scalar and a vector, so it is mathematically meaningless to add them.

Likes Delta2, vanhees71, Ibix and 1 other person
akerkarprashant said:
Summary:: F=m*a equation

Why F=m*a i.e product or multiplication and not F=m+a? i.e addition or summation?
Because it predicts that a 9.81 kg mass would float in midair if released at a point near the Earth's surface where the acceleration of gravity is -9.81 m/s2. Don't try this at home.

• Haha
Likes cnh1995, Steve4Physics, nasu and 4 others
Thanks.

So we can add Scalar + Scalar, Vector + Vector but not Scalar + Vector quantity?
While Scalar * Scalar, Vector * Vector and Scalar * Vector quantity is possible?

akerkarprashant said:
Thanks.

So we can add Scalar + Scalar, Vector + Vector but not Scalar + Vector quantity?
While Scalar * Scalar, Vector * Vector and Scalar * Vector quantity is possible?
You can mutiply pretty much any two quantities. If they are both vectors you need to use the dot product or the cross product.

You can only add quantities that have the same units. E.g. if both have units of mass; or, if both have units of mass times length divided by time squared. Etc.

Likes Delta2, russ_watters, vanhees71 and 1 other person
PeroK said:
You can only add quantities that have the same units. E.g. if both have units of mass; or, if both have units of mass times length divided by time squared. Etc.
Indeed. What is one second more than one kilogram? It doesn't make sense. But one second times one meter per second gives you one meter, the distance traveled in the time.

Likes russ_watters, akerkarprashant and vanhees71
Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
akerkarprashant said:
[...]
F=m^a
F=m/a
[...]
Is this the infinite monkey theorem applied to theoretical physics?

• Love
Likes KappaStyx, sophiecentaur, russ_watters and 2 others
The main reason why F=ma and not m+a, further to dimensional nonsense, is that a material particle of mass m remains at rest wrt to your reference frame , supposed inertial, if it was initially at rest and no force F acts on it. But not only: because a = dv/dt is the derivative of velocity wrt time, in the case of v = const this derivative is null. So the particle can keep constant velocity, and no force F is required for that.
Quantities F, v, a , are vectors.

In conclusion: a material particle remains at rest or in rectilinear uniform motion, in an inertial reference frame, until a force F changes this state, causing an acceleration a= dv/dt.

More correctly, the second law of dynamics should be written:

F = dp/dt

Where p = mv is another vector quantity, the particle momentum.

• Informative
Likes akerkarprashant and Delta2
jbriggs444 said:
Is this the infinite monkey theorem applied to theoretical physics?
It reminds me of the old Sidney Harris cartoon ##\dots##

Einstein.jpg

Likes KappaStyx, Steve4Physics, akerkarprashant and 1 other person
As others have essentially said , that's the law of nature that ##\vec{F}=m\cdot \vec{a}## (to be more precise Newton state it as ##\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{P}}{dt}##). The laws of nature could 've been different, for example Maxwell's equations could ve been different and Newtons Laws could ve been different, it could 've been ##F=ma^2## or ##F=ma^n## for some ##n\in \mathbb{N}##, but God (moderators sorry if I mention God here I hope you don't mind) or the universe by it self selected ##F=ma## .

You can write simulations, that simulate an alternate Universe in some programming language, where we have alternate forms of the law for example ##F=ma^2## and see how things behave. Try to solve the harmonic motion (which won't be harmonic anymore) for ##m(\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2})^2=-kx##. I can tell you that the universe would be slower if for example ##F=ma^2##.

Last edited:
Likes akerkarprashant
It seems so simple to say , but we have to deeply thank Galileo, Newton and others. Let me make a short digression, forgive me.
For almost two thousand years the scientific world was pervaded by the Aristotle ‘s physics, now we know it was wrong. He spoke of four elements, Earth water air and fire , and distinguished “natural motion “ from “violent motion “, But overall he was unable to explain why a stone, thrown in the air, continued to move without any apparent cause. He had no idea of the principle of inertia. Have a look at this short lesson:

https://aether.lbl.gov/www/classes/p10/aristotle-physics.html

Very often, there is progress in science not only when we learn something new, but also when we are able to look at known facts from a different point of view.

• Informative
Likes akerkarprashant and Delta2
akerkarprashant said:
Why F=m*a
Because force is proportional to mass: If you have twice as much mass, you have to push twice as hard to accelerate it at the same rate.

Because force is proportional to acceleration: If you want twice as much acceleration, you have to push twice as hard.

Proportionality is the important bit. It turns out that if one thing is proportional to two others then it is proportional to the product of those two things.

For example, area is proportional to length. Area is proportional to width. Area is proportional to the product of length and width.

Next lesson: The constant of proportionality, ##F=kma## and coherent units.

The answer is that Newton was after figuring out how nature works and not after writing down mathematical expressions which don't make any sense!

Likes PhDeezNutz, PeroK, berkeman and 3 others
vanhees71 said:
The answer is that Newton was after figuring out how nature works and not after writing down mathematical expressions which don't make any sense!
With that, we will close this thread. Thank you everybody for trying to help the OP.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and kuruman

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

2. Why is the formula for Newton's second law F=m*a?

The formula F=m*a represents the mathematical relationship between force, mass, and acceleration as described by Newton's second law. The letter "F" stands for force, "m" stands for mass, and "a" stands for acceleration. By multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration, we get the force required to produce that acceleration.

3. Why is the mass multiplied by the acceleration, rather than added?

This is because force and acceleration are not simply additive quantities. In other words, adding mass and acceleration together does not give us a meaningful result. Instead, we multiply mass and acceleration to get force, as this reflects the true relationship between these variables as described by Newton's second law.

4. Can the formula for Newton's second law be rearranged?

Yes, the formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables. For example, if we divide both sides of the equation by mass, we get a=F/m, which allows us to solve for acceleration. Similarly, if we divide both sides by acceleration, we get m=F/a, which allows us to solve for mass.

5. How does Newton's second law apply to real-world situations?

Newton's second law can be applied to a wide range of real-world situations, from the motion of objects on Earth to the movement of celestial bodies in space. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to understand and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is also the basis for many important technologies, such as rockets, airplanes, and cars.