• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Newton's Second Law Particle Problem

• Thread starter Seraph404
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While two forces act on it, a particle is to move at the constant velocity v = (3 m/s)i - (4 m/s)j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N)i + (-6N)j. What is the other force?

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm really just wanting a hint. I know that the acceleration is zero because the velocity is constant. So how do I use velocity to find the second force? Surely I'm missing something fundamental here. Once again, just a hint would be nice.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While two forces act on it, a particle is to move at the constant velocity v = (3 m/s)i - (4 m/s)j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N)i + (-6N)j. What is the other force?

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm really just wanting a hint. I know that the acceleration is zero because the velocity is constant. So how do I use velocity to find the second force? Surely I'm missing something fundamental here. Once again, just a hint would be nice.
You pretty much gave yourself a hint when you said that there is no net force. Since one of the two forces are given, what's the other one?

You pretty much gave yourself a hint when you said that there is no net force. Since one of the two forces are given, what's the other one?

(-2N)i + (6N)j ?

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Oh okay! Thanks!

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes