1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's second law with vectors

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 9 kg object is subjected to two forces, [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif1 [Broken] = 7 N i - 4 N j and [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/Farrowbolditalic.gif2 [Broken] = 7 N i - 9 N j. The object is at rest at the origin at time t = 0.

(a) What is the object's acceleration?

(b) What is its velocity at time t = 14 s?

(c) Where is the object at time t = 14 s?

(All answers in unit vector notation)

2. Relevant equations
    (a) Fnet=ma

(b) V = V0 + at

(c) X = X0 + V0t + 1/2at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) Fnet = F1 + F2 = 14i - 13j

Fnet = ma -> a = (14i-13j)/9
    a = 1.56i - 1.44j (MARKED INCORRECT)

Why is this incorrect? If a = F/m then all I should have to do is add up the forces to get Fnet.

(b and c) I've used the equations above and got the answers wrong. Overall, I won't be able to get these answers correct unless I get the correct acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Probably because ##1.56\ne14/9## and ##-1.44\ne -13/9##. They are just decimal approximations to the fractions, which are the correct answers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    So you think that I was correct to add F1 and F2? If that is true I should just leave Fnet as 14/9i - 13/9j?

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You could always ask your teacher, or if it's an online problem, try typing in the fractions. In that case be sure to use parentheses as in (14/9)i

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5
    Alright, I will try that. Thank you very much. Are my equations for (b) and (c) okay? I just want to check because I've already submitted this question a few times.

EDIT: Hey, I got it right! =D Fractions for life, haha. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  7. Oct 8, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Those equations (b and c) are valid only if you have constant acceleration. Do you have constant acceleration? If so, you can use them.

8. Oct 8, 2014 #7
    Yes, I had constant acceleration. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted