Newton's Third Law of Motion and car collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
Ki-nana18
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Jenny and Betty are having a great time at Busch Gardens riding the Ubanga Banga bumper cars. Jenny, who is traveling southward in her bumper car, aims her car toward Betty, who is traveling northward in her bumper car. The cars collide and briefly come to a stop.

1)What is the direction of the force exerted on Jenny's car during the collision?
2)What can you say about the magnitude of the force that Jenny's car exerts on Betty's car versus the magnitude of the force that Betty's car exerts on Jennifer's car?
3)What is the direction of the acceleration of Jenny's car during the collision?

I have no idea if I'm right but...
1) Northward
2) Jenny's car exerts less force than does Betty's car.
3) Northward
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ki-nana18 said:
I have no idea if I'm right but...
1) Northward
2) Jenny's car exerts less force than does Betty's car.
3) Northward
1 & 3 are correct; 2 is not. Better look up Newton's 3rd law.
 
So there magnitude of the forces must be equal because the law states: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."