1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons to Newton meters per second

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so 1000(5.556 m/s – 0 m/s)/0.055 = 101018 Newton’s which is a unit of force. We know the force was applied for 1 foot of travel (.3048meters)
    2. Relevant equations
    So the incorrect conversion would be to multiply by .3048 to get 30790 newton meters per second. I am missing the time component

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I need to divide 1 by 0.055seconds and than multiply that number by 30790? Any help would be appreciated I am baffled. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you are talking about here. Some of the units have been omitted, which muddies the water further. 1000 what? 0.055 what? You've jumped into the middle of something here; we just don't know what.

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    Ya I definitely stepped in it. Sorry. 1000 is the weight in kilograms, and 0.055 is the time in seconds

5. Jan 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mass * velocity = momentum

momentum / time = ?

6. Jan 12, 2015 #5
    Ok I think that helps, Thanks

7. Jan 12, 2015 #6
    Hi Paulhook. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Part of doing science involves developing and using your communication skills so that people can understand you. We're very good at helping people, but we're not mind readers. Please put yourself in our place, and state your problems so that we can make sense out of them.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted