1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NFC/RFID devices -- How do they transmit data?

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1

H Smith 94

Gold Member

Hi all,

I am designing an NFC device but am still a little unsure about the principles behind NFC/RFID. From what I understand:
    1. A primary coil constantly emits a 'carrier frequency' magnetic field.
    2. This field induces an e.m.f. on a passive secondary coil which is in a secondary circuit.
    3. The secondary circuit comprises a system that converts data into a modulation signal, which is realised by a modulating impedance in the second circuit.
    4. This impedance causes something in the primary circuit to change, thus receiving data.
    It is step 4. that I am most confused by. Sources I've read simply say the load impedance is "felt" by the primary coil, whatever that means.

Also, what is the function of having a separate transmit and receive antenna?

As a physicist I have very little prior exposure to electrical engineering or system design!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

A passive device modulates the carrier field by adjusting the effective load resistance on the secondary (the passive device pickup coil). A simple example would be a 1:1 transformer (power side–channel) circuit. A 1.0 mA current draw on the secondary means a 1.0 mA draw on the primary, if we drop the current draw on the secondary to 0.5 mA we now have a 0.5 mA current on the primary. If we quickly alternate the load currents with 1.0mA as a binary 1 and 0.5mA as binary 0 we have a means to transmit data back to the initiator device.

A active device will have it's own antenna to generate a field to send back to the initiator device.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook